Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Balancing Act

Pro Comp Series 69 Wheel
Hankook DynaPro ATM 31X70R17 Tire

This just looks weird........

Old 08-24-2018, 11:33 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You have a bad wheel or bad tire there. That's way too much weight.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 AM
I thought the same. I looked up Tire Rack's website: As per tirerack.com : https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-...-are-too-many-

While there is no industry standard, the general consensus of what is too much weight is when it takes more than 1% of the assembly weight to bring it into balance.

24 lbs for the wheel. 67 lbs for the tire. 91 lbs total. 16 ounces per pound. 1,456 ounces total. In theory, my wheel should not require more than 14.5 ounces to balance. In total, the guy used 7 ounces. Except for the fact that it looks crazy, the math does not seem so bad. It is only half of the acceptable amount of weight.

But it still looks like it's wrong.

Not too worried about it at the present. It is a 10 year old tire, with about 60,000 miles on it already. And I'm only keeping it as a spare under the truck. Next chance I get, I'll have someone else, at a different shop, check it out.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The weights are almost directly across from each other. I think someone didn't balance it correctly.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It might be, but I bet it's not balanced right...

Although, I've never had good luck with Hankooks.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150

I've never had good luck with Hankooks.
That's interesting.

I ran that set of 4 Hankook for 10 years, about 60,000 miles. I tire developed a slow leak.

No complaints. But there was nothing special about them either. I drove with them and did everything that I needed to do. Carried loads. Towed. Drove off-road. The tires succeeded in doing what I needed. Nothing impressed me about the tire. Nothing excited me to a point where I thought, "wow, I would get another set and recommend them to friends".

I originally purchased them based on price. I would buy them again if the price were right. Only reason I bought a different tire this time, was pricing. GreenBall Kanati Mud Hog was priced low enough that I decided it was worth buying.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Let me re-phrase that... the Hankooks I had were OK. Would I buy them again? If I didn't have the cash and needed an "economy" tire, I'd look at Hankook. For a few bucks more I'd rather go with General, Bridgestone or Goodyear.

Probably the worst tires I've had were Continentals on another vehicle... varying reasons... noise, ride, and traction, in that order.

So far the best tire has been the General Grabber AT2 tires. The tread life is amazing. A buddy got 90K out of a set before seeing the top of Lincoln's head...

Only gripe I have is the AT2's makes my truck get junk for mileage. The Hankooks gave me 20-22 mpg, but were also highway tires. But I'd rather have insane grip on snow, ice and mud/wet grass.

I still got the Hankooks someplace in my shop. Been thinking of grabbing another set of rims and TPMS sensors and throwing them on my truck for summer tires. They got 1/2 tread left.

Last edited by ManualF150; 08-26-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Keep on addin' more... lol
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 PM
If I didn't have the cash and needed an "economy" tire, I'd look at Hankook. For a few bucks more I'd rather go with General, Bridgestone or Goodyear.
I agree with that. For many years, Goodyear was what I bought, what my dad bought, et cetera. Way back in the days of yore & yesteryear, before the market was flooded with low cost tires, Goodyear was one of the best returns on investment. I still think Goodyear makes a good tire.

But the market has changed. The market is now flooded with low cost tires. And some of those tires are good enough, that you can get "bang for your buck". In some cases, you are saving hundreds on a set of tires. I know that for $1,200+, a set of Goodyear will give me 5 years+, and be great tires. I value most auto related expenses over a 5 year term. No auto part will last forever, and most should last 5 years......tires, water pumps, alternators, radiators, whatever.

The Hankook set lasted 10 years. 10 years ago, the Hankooks were about $220 a tire, or $880 a set. Today, they are still about the same price.

All tires sold in USA are regulated by NHTSA, and must have a DOT code stamped on the tire. I just purchased a set of low cost GreenBall tires for $640. They will probably give me at least 5 years of service. I will probably get my money's worth, at a cost savings of $560. Now that the 2007 truck is 11 years old, who knows if I'll have the truck longer than the set of tires.

A buddy got 90K out of a set before seeing the top of Lincoln's head...
Funny that I was just explaining to someone how to use a penny as a tread depth gauge.

There are several popular ways to check your tire tread depth. One easy way is the penny test. Simply insert a penny into your tire's tread groove with Lincoln's head upside down and facing you. If you can see all of Lincoln's head, your treaddepth is less than 2/32 inch and it's time to replace your tires.

Check Tire Tread Depth | Goodyear Auto Service

https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/en-US/tire-basics/tread-depth

Quick Reply: Balancing Act