Any experience w/ Wrangler AT/S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experience w/ Wrangler AT/S?

like most of y'all, had a hard time deciding on a good all-terrain tire reasonably priced. I had decided, after much research, on the Yokohama Geolandar AT+2 265/70/17. Sears wanted $147 per. Tirerack.com had them for $110. Sears agreed to match. Turns out the Yokos are 2 mos backordered. Sh*t!
Back to looking. Tirerack had the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in 265/70/17 as a special for $116. Called Sears and a couple of other tire places, they wanted in the $170's!!!
And Sears wouldn't match the price. So i ordered the AT/S this am and got email saying they shipped at 2pm. Only $55 for shipping for the 4 of them (fm Delaware to Va)! In all:$521 delivered.

My question: Anyone else w/ experience w/ the Wrangler AT/S?
The tread looks like a great water tire and there are a buttload of sipes on it (the adverts say 7800!). Not as aggressive as i wanted but i think they will turn some heads, if for nothing else cuz they are a little "funky" looking.

For those shopping, I recmd that you use Tirerack.com to do alot of your research (find out what tires are in what size, comments/evals from others) and use that info to shop locally.
They had the low price CONSISTENTLY (even w/ shipping). Sorry if this sounded like an ad; just my exp.
Will let all know how the tires work out when they get here.

Old 09-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I shouldn't have hit send so soon. I did read the other posts ("should i trade my tires" was a big help) and should have specified the conditions used:
Sand/Beach
Water
Slick Boat ramps

And the tire i REALLY wanted were the Goodyear Wrangler MT/S! Gotta save for those, tho!

Old 09-26-2001, 08:07 PM
Unhappy Oh..boy...but you asked..

All I will say is that the AT/S came stock on my truck, 265/70r17.

I couldn't wait to get rid of them. They look like they would be good in the rain, and they -did- move alot of water, but the traction was horrable. after around 30k mile I replaced them with Michellin Cross Terrains. Most guys here opt for Procomps or BFG AT TKOs.

I wish you better luck than I had with them.

Old 09-26-2001, 08:45 PM
Hey 98 4x4Flareside,

Tires are one of those things that are extremely subjective. Every person has a different opinion of ride, noise, traction and looks.

I'm on my third F-150 since '99. I had LT265/70R17s on the '99 and ordered them on my '00. Both trucks were equiped with 4x4 and the ORP and I specifically ordered them (tires) on my second truck. I had nothing but good experiences with my tires on both trucks. I don't do much off roading but occasionally I get in a "sticky" situation and they come in real handy. I love the ride but the noise is just a fraction more than "P" rated tires but not very noticable. IMO, they are the tire for me, at least until I try something else. I have ridden on lots of different tires over the years and I haven't seen much better. I did buy a new '89 Chevy 4x4 and it was equiped with Goodyear Wranglers TD series in 16" and I drove them for over 50K miles with not one single issue. I have no reason to shy away from Goodyear 'cause they been "Good" to me for a lot or "Years".

My current truck was built with P265/70R17s and I really hate them. I have ordered the replacement LTs and they will be switched out this Friday, Can't wait to get that feeling again.

My $0.02
DaveMan

Old 09-26-2001, 09:07 PM
I think they are a good tire in both handling and traction. With the sidewall tread they look more agressive then most AT tires. If you notice the BFG came out with the new KO tire but the only thing I can see they changed was towards a more aggressive side wall tread. Were they taking clues from the AT/S? I had a set of BFG AT a long time ago and they wore like iron. Now I think they are just to damn proud of them. $190 for the comparable size.

One problem I have had is balancing them. I have had two sets on two trucks and have not been able to get a "good" balance out of either of them. I wonder about the tire rack. You know what they say about a good deal...

Could the tire rack be selling seconds? Every place I got a quote from wanted at least $170/tire. While checking around I also noticed that all of them were on back-order.

I don't mean to scare you away. Overall the tires are good and since you didn't go with the larger size you will probably not have any issues balacing them.

Enjoy the new tread and let us know your first impressions.

Old 09-27-2001, 03:29 PM
sitting here in disbelief

here it is 3pm. I can't believe it but the UPS guy pulled up 15 mins ago and i am the proud owner of 3 of my 4 tires I ordered YESTERDAY! The fourth is still in transit according to the uPS tracking number and should be here tomorrow. I am dumbfounded that they are here. Just checked the shipping confirmation email and they shipped at 3:40 yesterday so less than 24 hrs (from Newark, Delaware)!

Now for a stupid question: How do I tell which tire goes on which side? my understanding is that today's tires are made w/ the belts oriented for a particular rotation. is this incorrect?

Thanks for any help and all of the earlier experiences. Is this a great site or what!?!

Old 09-27-2001, 04:03 PM
some tires are made that way (Unidirectional is the term and you could really only rotate them front to back unless you actually remounted to the opposite rims which of course only worked on blackwalls, but I digress)...Goodyear gatorbacks come to mind.

The tires you bought are not unidirectional. Put 'em anywhere you want and you can rotate them normally.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2001, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the tires are directional, they will be marked. Look on the sidewall for any arrows or directions. This goes for any tire. It will be clearly marked if it is uni-directional.

Old 09-28-2001, 12:14 AM
The AT/S is not a uni-directional tire. I have them on my 99 ORP, they have been good so far. I have 31.5k on them now, they look good to atleast 40k, maybe a bit more. My only minor complaint is the minor extra noise. Wet traction is pretty good. The only time I get a little spinning is making a turn from a stop sign in the rain and needing a little acceleration. I most likely will replace them with the same.

Quick Reply: Any experience w/ Wrangler AT/S?