Wheel Idea! Input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Idea! Input?

so lately ive had this crazy idea that maybe someone has already done or thought of. In all do respect to Ford Motor Company, the f150 stock wheels from 97-03 are down right ugly except for the lightning and Harley Davidson wheels. But those wheels are so cliche amongst f150 builders with 97-103 trucks and im not a huge fan of after market wheels, so what i thought about, i know explorer wheels aren't adaptable without adapters, but my favorite wheels are the new 2011 Explorer wheels and a friend of mine has those wheels on his mountaineer with spacers, so with the f150 bolt pattern being 5x135mm (if im not mistaken) and the 02 explorer/mountaineer bolt pattern being 5x140 (i believe?) cant you just get adapters with that bolt pattern and shouldn't they bolt up? sorry if i get info wrong or may sound clueless first time dealing with spacers here haha

Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM
yep you can just get adapters. some say not to run them (danger of falling off, and in some cases strain on bearings but not so much here) and others say its fine. as long as you are constantly checking the torque I would say you're fine. not something I would do unless I was religiously checking though

Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
yep you can just get adapters. some say not to run them (danger of falling off, and in some cases strain on bearings but not so much here) and others say its fine. as long as you are constantly checking the torque I would say you're fine. not something I would do unless I was religiously checking though
hell yeah i knew it was possible! just needed a second thought but thanks for the input brotha!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 PM
No problem. Just make sure the adapters are as thick as your factory studs so that you won't have to modify the factory studs and the adapters will bolt right up. And I'm sure you're aware that the adapters will push the wheels outward around an inch (or however thick the adapters are). But since those wheels are factory and have a high offset I'm sure you'll be fine

Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will need to verify that the wheels can handle the weight of the F150. Many times wheels are stamped with the max weight it can handle. The Explorer is a lot lighter than the F150. Same is true of air pressure.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=103

Load carrying capacity, important no matter what the vehicle, is critical in wheels for light trucks or sport utility vehicles. You might feel that these types of vehicles have a load capacity that has been set high to allow this vehicle to perform off-road. But that's not the case. A good portion of the additional load comes from the fact that wheels on light trucks and SUVs are supporting tires with a much larger outside diameter than standard passenger vehicle tires, thus exerting much higher forces on the wheel. For this reason always verify the load capacity of any wheel that you are going to install on any vehicle to make sure it meets or exceeds that of Original Equipment wheels.

Last edited by kingfish51; 12-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Idea! Input?