brake woes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake woes?

Has anyone had any problems with their brakes making a sound like they do when they are wet? My SCrew has been a great truck sees heavy duty use daily. I took delivery of the truck 2/15/2000 and in December of 2000 it already had 33,000 miles. A good portion of those miles (20-30%) were trailer towing. Also, the truck sees continuous useage in the mud when the weather is wet. At 33,000 miles the brakes would moan when I applied them after highway driving. So the truck was taken to the Ford dealer (it's first trip) and the service man said that the rotors and calipers were caked with mud and the pads were shot. So $476.00 later the brakes were fine. Then at 50,000 miles (June) it started to make the sound again so I took it to a local garage where they pulled the wheels and showed me the pads and rotors were heavily glazed so once again the rotors were turned and the pads replaced. Yesterday I got back from a 3,200 mile trip to the Outer Banks, NC and on that trip the sound would show up every now and then with no regularity. Anyone have any ideas? It sounds like a caliper or calipers are dragging but it is not consistent. Also, I don't ride the brake pedal and rarely have to do any emergency braking and my trailer has it's own brakes.

Quick Reply: brake woes?