Rim measurement and fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim measurement and fit

So yea, I'm confused about some measurements and how I want them to fit on my truck.
I'm looking into some 195 Ultras but I'm kinda concerned about how I want them to fit/look.

Here are the specs; 17x8, 5.5bs, +25 offset.

I'm wanting them to stick out past the fender some, about two inches, but if I'm right, they're gonna be pretty close to flush. Then again, I don't understand this stuff at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Ran into the same thing when I was wheel and tire shopping. I went by offset rather than backspace as it seemed offset was easier to find than BS for what I was looking at. I used a tire size calculator to note my tire size and the size of the tires I was considering. I also googled a mm to inches converter and used that to get the offset of the rims I was considering in inches. I made a handy little chart on my iPhone that combined each combination of rim and tire to consider and that of what I had. For example:

I had 285/70/17 tires on oem XLT rims. I went with 285/60/20 tires on a rim with a +10 offset. Both tires come out at 11.22in wide. I was told two different offsets for my factory rims, +35 and +44 ( still not sure which) That means with my chosen rim would stick the tires out 1.18 to 1.34in. Using a straight edge on the tire, I am 1 5/16" outside the top of the wheel well.

What you're asking will of course depend on tire size, but assuming you're sticking with the same size tire you have now and assuming your current rims fall in the range of my stock rims, you will be anywhere from .39 to .74 inches wider.

Hope that was helpful and didn't make things more complicated for you. Offset and backspace are relative but not the same. For whatever reason, offset was easier for me to wrap my head around with the information I was looking at.

Last edited by Remingtonry; 04-14-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Here is 17x9 / -12mm offset / 4.53" BS wheel with 295/70r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

No way your going to get close to 2 inches with the route you're heading.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Remingtonry
-snip-
What you're asking will of course depend on tire size, but assuming you're sticking with the same size tire you have now and assuming your current rims fall in the range of my stock rims, you will be anywhere from .39 to .74 inches wider.
-snip-
That's the bit that really helped, now I just need to find out the measurements for my rims... Time to get out the ruler.
And I was wanting to run 35x12.5s since I'm leveled, forgot to throw that in there.

Originally Posted by Search11
Here is 17x9 / -12mm offset / 4.53" BS wheel with 295/70r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
No way your going to get close to 2 inches with the route you're heading.
Thanks for the measurements and the picture, that really helped me see it instead of just visualizing it.
Good looking truck.

Last edited by CedartownDawg; 04-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
What size are your current tires?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CedartownDawg
So yea, I'm confused about some measurements and how I want them to fit on my truck.
I'm looking into some 195 Ultras but I'm kinda concerned about how I want them to fit/look.

Here are the specs; 17x8, 5.5bs, +25 offset.

I'm wanting them to stick out past the fender some, about two inches, but if I'm right, they're gonna be pretty close to flush. Then again, I don't understand this stuff at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.
That wheel will only stick out 1/2 inch farther than your stock wheels. A 9 inch wheel with 5 inches of backspacing will stick out 2 inches farther than your stock wheels, and is a pretty common spec.

Quick Reply: Rim measurement and fit