Spindle nut problem

Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spindle nut problem

Okay, I am starting to get irritated, now.

I have a 97 expedition, which uses the same setup as the 97-99 f150. I am trying to replace the front driver side wheel hub, but I cannot get the spindle nut off, regardless of what I do.

I have broken 3 breaker bars, four sockets, used two different impact wrenches, and it will not come loose, at all.

My air compressor is a 120 gallon, 300 max psi air compressor, and both of the impact wrenches I have used are rated for up to 120 psi in position 4.

The impact wrenches just bounce back and forth on the nut and never loosen it, and i've kept it on there doing that until the entire air compressor ran low on pressure.

The break bars have been used, even my 3 foot one, with another 2 foot of steel tube, and it snapped the breaker bar off right in the middle.

I have no idea what to do to get this off, but it needs to be resolved. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Thays sucks. I dont have any experience with this so i cant really offer any advice other than heat it up. That usually helps or u can buy some if that thread loosener spray. I was skeptical it would.work but it ended up being able to get some bolts loose that i thiugh were siezed up

Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

if you've broke a 5 ft bar trying to get this off then IMHO I'd just break the whloe thing loose at the ball joints and Tie rod and pitch it, replace it all. your doing the hub so just get all new and be done with the problem.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
What kind of breaker bar are you using? 1/2 or 3/4 sockets? A good quality 3/4" breaker bar should not break that easily.

have you tried penetrating oil? That would have been my first step. Soak it good, wait an hour, soak it again, come back in a couple more hours.

If that doesn't work, use a torch. Apply high heat all around the nut but avoid heating the spindle (as much as possible)
immediately hit it with your biggest wrench and see if it comes loose.

After that, you are probably out of luck.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by buck119fa
if you've broke a 5 ft bar trying to get this off then IMHO I'd just break the whloe thing loose at the ball joints and Tie rod and pitch it, replace it all. your doing the hub so just get all new and be done with the problem.
^^^^This

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spindle nut problem