Low mileage brake replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low mileage brake replacement???

My father has a 2006 F-150 4x4 that he only has put about 22k miles on. He is retired, they have another car, and they use it primarily when the whether gets bad (upstate NY) and when towing their boat (small 18.5 ft bow rider) during the summer. Other than that, it sits in the garage.

His mechanic told him that because of the age of the truck, he should have the pads and rotors replaced, brakes cleaned, slide pins greased and bearings packed with a note that says "if applicable". To my knowledge, the bearings are sealed in the hub and cannot be serviced. Also, if the rotors are not warped, gouged, or corroding, and are in excellent shape, I don't see any need to replace them. I do agree that the slide pins should be greased, just as a maintenance issue. While I'm doing that, I plan on installing some Wagner Thermoquiet pads and cleaning/inspecting the brakes. I have them on mine and like them, and with a coupon code at Advance Auto and mail-in rebate, they're 16.99 a set. Can't beat that so why not.

Am I wrong on the rotors, or is his mechanic trying to make some extra cash? There is no indication that there is anything wrong at all with them, he doesn't drive/brake hard, and it's kept in the garage.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone is trying to make some cash...walk away and tell him thanks, have a nice day!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Your dad's mechanic is full of ....

Unless you have some particular reason to change the pads (like hating the dust from the factory pads), it doesn't need those either, most likely.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree. I had my truck in today routine stuff, my mechanic also agrees.

Quick Reply: Low mileage brake replacement???