Another Tire Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Tire Question?

Okay, guys I have looked and searched for a while and can't seem to find what I am looking for, and I know this sort of question has been asked a lot. But I am caught in a different situation, and I would appreciate any help any one could provide.

So my wife's grandfather passed in October, and he left her a used car dealership (very small). Wife decided to sell all the stock due to us living in Texas and dealership is in Iowa, the only thing she didn't sell was a 2005 f150 lariat, and she gave it to me . But have a huge problem, tires are rubbing. Since I don't know anything about the rims, as far as backspace, offset, or anything, I just can't figure out if the wheels should even be on the the truck or not. The wheels are Ultra MotorSports Goliaths 20" wheels with Nitto TG 325/60/20.

when the truck was shipped here I was stoked when I saw it, but later disappointed when I found I could not drive it because of the rubbing. The tires do rub more on the passenger side lower bumper, and drivers side seems to have very little space against the fender compared to the pass. side (did finger test 4 fingers on pass, and 3 on driver, LOL). Anyway can't figure this stuff out since this is new to me, appreciate any help any can give. Here is the wheel.

http://www.ultrawheel.com/pdf/rims/2...D%202-8-10.pdf

but because I did not buy these, I don't know what BS, or the Offset.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the long winded post just trying to give as much info as possible? THanks again for any help.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
That tire is north of 35". 35.4" according to the pinned tire size calculator. Does it have any sort of level/lift kit, aftermarket shocks, etc? My opinion is that even with a 2.5" leveling kit, it's going to rub but any trim work you do might be minimal.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by rllackey28
That tire is north of 35". 35.4" according to the pinned tire size calculator. Does it have any sort of level/lift kit, aftermarket shocks, etc? My opinion is that even with a 2.5" leveling kit, it's going to rub but any trim work you do might be minimal.
I am a little lost, maybe the pdf of the wheel is old or either you are wrong on the wheel diameter. Or you are running hub adaptors, according to it, there are no 6x135 20" wheels. Please verify that the size you posted was correct, if it is that almost too much tire even with a leveling kit. Some trimming could get you by, but you may want to consider adding more lift. Once again please confirm the wheel/tire size.

If by some chance they are the 18 with BS = 5 5/8 and OS = +15, you are not too far from getting by.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by rllackey28
I got under there today for a closer look, and it does look like it has a leveling kit, what kind and size I don't have a clue, nothing in rear, no aftermarket shocks. thanks for the help.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
I am a little lost, maybe the pdf of the wheel is old or either you are wrong on the wheel diameter. Or you are running hub adaptors, according to it, there are no 6x135 20" wheels. Please verify that the size you posted was correct, if it is that almost too much tire even with a leveling kit. Some trimming could get you by, but you may want to consider adding more lift. Once again please confirm the wheel/tire size.

If by some chance they are the 18 with BS = 5 5/8 and OS = +15, you are not too far from getting by.
Hawkin, I am confused right there next to you. I assumed that the wheel was 20 because the tire r20, maybe I am just not experienced enough and should have not assumed that was the size, but from the pdf, I couldn't find anything that said it would fit the f150, but that is the wheel, that is on the trunk, anything I found on that wheel is usually on a Tundra, no hub adapters
I so lost and confused, It is a nice looking truck, just wish I could figure this stuff out, so I can enjoy her. Thanks a million for your reply and any future help.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like they just installed a tire that is a little too large. If you could post some pics it would help a lot. Try to get a pic directly from the front so we can see how far the tire stick out, along with a pic of the suspension and where the rubbing is.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Sounds like they just installed a tire that is a little too large. If you could post some pics it would help a lot. Try to get a pic directly from the front so we can see how far the tire stick out, along with a pic of the suspension and where the rubbing is.
I agree. That would help with coming up with the best solution. Take pics of the trim (lower valence/spoiler) and the control arms.

Hawkin, I am confused right there next to you. I assumed that the wheel was 20 because the tire r20, maybe I am just not experienced enough and should have not assumed that was the size, but from the pdf, I couldn't find anything that said it would fit the f150, but that is the wheel, that is on the trunk, anything I found on that wheel is usually on a Tundra, no hub adapters
I so lost and confused, It is a nice looking truck, just wish I could figure this stuff out, so I can enjoy her. Thanks a million for your reply and any future help.
If it says r20 then those are 20" wheels for sure. That spec sheet must be old, or by any chance is it the Mammoth? You said no hub adapters, so I guess you pulled a wheel off? Being you already have a leveling kit, leaves you with a few options:
1. More lift, suspension would be best, a body lift would help with the trimming, but would not help with it rubbing on the suspension.
2. Put smaller tires on the wheels, or go with a whole different combination.
3. Depending how bad the rubbing is, you may be able to get by with some trimming.

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Here are the pics I took today hopefully this helps you guys get a clearer picture of my little problem. Thanks again you guys have been great.

Driver's Side

front

driver side

Passenger Side

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Go with a smaller tire or get out the old sawzall! Common spot to rub with large tires, just depend's on how much you want to cut up the truck to make them fit.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Go with a smaller tire or get out the old sawzall! Common spot to rub with large tires, just depend's on how much you want to cut up the truck to make them fit.
Gonna be a lot of cutting, not to mention you still have the suspension to deal with. I say save the truck, go with some smaller tires or get a 6" lift. By the way the truck does look good, welcome to the site.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Get rid of the tires and keep the truck. You're looking at $1200 tops for new tires in the 33" range. If you have tread left you could probably see them for a few hundred on Craigslist. Something like a 305/55 would work.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Looks like you have a leveling kit. Basically you have three choices. Either install a full lift kit, install a slightly smaller tire or do some serious trimming.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I just want to thank everyone for all the help, I have decided to keep the tires, but will be changing them out for 305 55 20, I will be getting tomorrow found on craigslist, I have also decided to get a 6in lift, from a local shop here (that's why I'm keeping the tires), I just need to wait a few weeks to recover from Christmas, LOL.

Again, thanks everyone for all your help, and for the warm welcome. Def, will be sticking around.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Gonna be a lot of cutting, not to mention you still have the suspension to deal with. I say save the truck, go with some smaller tires or get a 6" lift. By the way the truck does look good, welcome to the site.

Thanks mdhawking, for all the help and insight,

pawpaw thanks for the advice, knew I would get some good help here.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by aztek31
Thanks mdhawking, for all the help and insight,

pawpaw thanks for the advice, knew I would get some good help here.
No problem Sir, let me know if you need more info. You have a great looking truck; can not wait to see how your new mods to accommodate everything turns out, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Question?