2005 F150: Brake pedal squeaking when pressed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150: Brake pedal squeaking when pressed..

This sound has started during these hot months (103 degrees in Georgia!!!) and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it.

Pretty much when my brake pedal is pressed about half way in I begin to hear a "spring crunching" sound. It disappears at about 5/8ths of the way and comes back at about 3/4ths of the way and stays until you release the pedal.

I was wondering if there was a way to simply fix this problem with some lubricant/WD40. Possibly spraying the rod that goes into the brake booster(?) into the master cylinder.

Is this pretty common for this truck?

Thank you all.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
DO NOT SPRAY WD40

The internal seals of the booster are usually EPDM rubber... and mineral based oils will trash them.

Is the noise in the pedal mechanism or actually in the booster?

You could try lubricating the pedal mechanism with silicone spray.

If its inside the booster, your only real fix will be a new booster.

Also consider that it could be the master cylinder springs and just reverberating through the booster. If this is the case, the fix would be a new master cylinder.

I would suggest spraying the pedal linkages with silicone and hope that works.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
My cousin is a tech for Ford here, and its the rod going into the brake booster. He said only real way to fix it is to replace the booster.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by jeriku
This sound has started during these hot months (103 degrees in Georgia!!!) and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it.

Pretty much when my brake pedal is pressed about half way in I begin to hear a "spring crunching" sound. It disappears at about 5/8ths of the way and comes back at about 3/4ths of the way and stays until you release the pedal.

I was wondering if there was a way to simply fix this problem with some lubricant/WD40. Possibly spraying the rod that goes into the brake booster(?) into the master cylinder.

Is this pretty common for this truck?

Thank you all.
I am encountering the same problem now and I was advised to lubricate the pedal. However,this would be the first time that I will do it so I researched on the internet. I found this video about lubricating brake pedal linkage,could I apply this on my truck? What are the risks if I don't do it right?

Last edited by jackjroadster; 11-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150: Brake pedal squeaking when pressed..