Front Brakes Overheating - 1997 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes Overheating - 1997 4x4

1997 4x4 Extended Cab, 5.4L automaic with tow package. 98,000 miles

I had a brake problem with a full load in the bed (Just heavy camping stuff) going down the mountains. The front brakes were smoking, rims were very hot, nasty burning smell. And the brakes were really soft as I stopped to pull over. Let them cool off for an hour, then continued down the rest of the mountain, could still smell it.

I had just replaced the rotors, calipers, pads, and brake hoses (not the main lines).

I think I was riding the brakes a bit too much downhill and I hadn't shifted into a lower gear. Is it possible that riding the brakes alone and not shifting into a lower gear could have caused the overheating issue?

I am worried the brake pads are dragging on the rotors, although, they were fine on more level ground.

Been reading similar posts here, and I'd like to get some input. Thanks

Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Riding the brakes would definitely do it. Especially if it were for more than a mile. You may also have an issue with the rears, they should be doing some of the work.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I think I WAS probably riding my brakes more than a mile.

Took my truck in today for one of those free brake inspections. Said front brakes are fine, pads are not dragging. Said pads on rear drum brakes are fine, but suggested a $40 adjustment.

After the inspection (no work done) the rear has a mild "hooo" squeal when the brakes are applied.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The soft pedal is because you probably boiled the brake fluid. At the very least it would be a good idea to give it a bleeding to replace the burnt fluid that is in the calipers now.

Yes riding the brakes for long down hills will heat them pretty good. The fronts handle about 60% of the stopping power.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes Overheating - 1997 4x4