New to me wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me wheels

So my buddy gave me a set of eagle alloy 17in wheels. They are not pitted or anything just a bit dull looking. i am looking for a easy way to get them poppin. They have been in his shop for a while and are just kinda dull. I want them to get back to the original shine. I have heard about the power ball. But other than that any way to make them shine? I don't mind some elbow grease and doing it by hand. any products anyone recommends?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to identify the finish first. Probably chrome or polished aluminum. Eitherway, I'd suggest the Powerball and the appropiate polish.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
new to me

they are polished aluminum with a clear coat. He said that he always used simple green and that shinned them up. I have no clue if i can get them really shinny or not with the clear coat. they look pretty good., but i need to get them as clean as i can.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerball is pretty good to use to shine wheels up.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsulaxer
they are polished aluminum with a clear coat. He said that he always used simple green and that shinned them up. I have no clue if i can get them really shinny or not with the clear coat. they look pretty good., but i need to get them as clean as i can.
Hopefully he used a watered down simple green solution or the clearcoat is probably stained and will have a cloudy appearance. If the clearcoat is stained you will have to carefully sand it off and reapply a new clearcoat.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by fsulaxer
So my buddy gave me a set of eagle alloy 17in wheels. They are not pitted or anything just a bit dull looking. i am looking for a easy way to get them poppin. They have been in his shop for a while and are just kinda dull. I want them to get back to the original shine. I have heard about the power ball. But other than that any way to make them shine? I don't mind some elbow grease and doing it by hand. any products anyone recommends?
Lets see some pics so we can give you some proper advice on what your dealing with.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
If they are clearcoated, I'd wash them with soap and water and polish them with an automotive paint rubbing compound/polish.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 AM
how do you put pics up? i will show you them with my tires on. hit the car wash today. used pressure washer and they cleaned up pretty good. would like a bit more shine tho

Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 AM

They look clean here but i want cleaner lol

Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Those were originally bare polished aluminum. They are not clearcoated unless the owner had them cleared.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Take and have them polished powder coated clear. Kinda pricey but it will save you a lot of elbow grease in the future. Or , polish them yourself and get some new shiny lug nuts.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Ok cool so i can hit them with some polish and roll with them. I am getting new lugs but dang they are pricey. I am not worried about sending them off and droping a pile of dough on them. Ill polish em and let them shine that way. Thanks guys

O i talked to my buddy he said that he actually polished them but his dad thought i got a different set from him

Old 07-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Mothers aluminum mag polish and the ball

Hey laxer, I have Eagle alloys and have always used Mothers aluminum polish w/ the powerball and have always had good results. I don't have any good b4 and after pics but here's the most recent:

before

after

If you look close, you can see the chrome center caps have some surface rust, and the Mothers gets rid of that real good as well. Invest in the powerball, it WILL save you a lot of elbow grease. On a side note, I have since painted the wheels black, so there's not as much for me to polish.

Quick Reply: New to me wheels