squeeking when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
squeeking when backing up

so a couple weeks ago my truck started this annoying squeek whenever i would back up. i couldent figure it uot so i took to the dealership and they thought it was the brakes so i whent ahead and replaced then (it was due for new brakes anyways). so i got it back and the squeek was not as loud and a couple days ago it started up again and its just as loud as before. ive taken the wheel and brake off and cleaned all the dirt and stuff of and it still squeeks. i thought it was the emergincy brake stuck but i looked at the line and its fine. everything thats popped into my head ive checked and its not that. and the ABS light comes on when im driving and itll go off and on. any ideals would help.

thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar noise (squeaking) in my old truck (1995), my mechanic told me to replace the U-joints. Replaced the U-joints, noise was gone.

ETA: The above is if the noise is coming from the rear, cause that is where the noise I had was coming from. My noise done it forward & backwards.

ETA again: Did not notice the part about the ABS light coming on. Sorry.

Last edited by hk45shooter; 07-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Typically, the change in direction (backwards vs forward) along with light caliper piston pressure will cause the brake pads to screech while backing up especially when the humidity is high. If it stops as soon as you go into drive and move forward, that is probably what it is... It will probably go away as soon as the weather changes and gets colder. Not a problem but really annoying and I have had it happen to me. Now, the ABS light is another issue... The sensors for that count teeth on the rear side of your hub and is seperated from you brakes unless you master cylinder is low in fluid..... My 2 cents....

Last edited by arubba; 07-21-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 PM
My 2000 does the same thing when I back and was told it was the humidity and weather here in Florida. Once the pads and rotors warm It won't happen again only when I first back out of my driveway. Now for the ABS light my truck was also doing this and I changed the ABS sensors and it fixed the issue. If you've recently done work on the front and the ABS sensor was rmoved make sure it is clean before reinstalling them. This happened to my friends truck and that is what the prob was.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but see ive the truck for a little over a year and i had it last summer and it NEVER did this its like a really loud squeek and it gets faster as the truck gets faster

Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
The squeak in reverse is what mine did. I replaced rear ujoint, noise solved. Don't count on joints being "loose" when you check them. Mine were seized tight. Good luck.

Quick Reply: squeeking when backing up