right front wheel getting very hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right front wheel getting very hot

Last week when i got out of my 98 5,4, 4wd truck after driving 15 miles, I discovered smoke from the right front wheel and a very hot rim. As i got to think of it, my truck seemed unwilling to shift up in gear, when i drove it, as if something was holding it back.

Anyone on this great forum have any ideas of what might be the problem.

And another question. I need parts for the truck - breaks, oilfilter, airfilter, starter, taillight. Living in Denmark, parts are almost impossible to get. Anyone who knows dealers shipping oversea.

Appreciate any input

thanks

Prastholm

Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
it sounds like the hub bearings went out on it, jack it up and try to spin it by hand. Take the brakes off and try and spin it again and see what happens.

did you have any kind of squealing or noises or vibrations when it happened?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Mine was doing the same thing, it was the Caliper, so I changed them Ok now! It's also a good idea to change the rubber hose because of the excessive heat could make it weak.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
It sounds like your brake caliper is sticking. I would recommend a new caliper and hose along with bleeding the brakes.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
It sounds like there is a problem with the caliper. If you change it you'll most likely need new rotors and pads also. If you had them hot enough to cause smoke the rotors may have warped and the pads may be glazed from the heat also.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
it sounds like the hub bearings went out on it, jack it up and try to spin it by hand. Take the brakes off and try and spin it again and see what happens.

did you have any kind of squealing or noises or vibrations when it happened?
my english language has some lacks. Could you please explain the word HUB. I suppose it´s short of something.

No noises or vibrations. Just that feeling that something was holding the truck back. I feelt a change in the brake pedal. the movement of the pedal got shorter than before the problem. Perhaps due to hot brake fluid?? Have not tested since in turned cold again

Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
hub is the the 4x4 equivalent of spindle/wheel bearings on a 2wd

Based on your latest description i agree with others thinking that its probably an issue with the brake caliper on the passenger side

Quick Reply: right front wheel getting very hot