Has anyone switched between BFG AT & G SA tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone switched between BFG AT & G SA tires?

I wasn't sure if I'd run out of space. Have any of you switched between BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires and Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires, in the same size [either direction]?

What are your thoughts based on your experiences? Was there a noticable MPG change between them [and, if so, how?]?

I think I'm down to those two tires for my next set for my 08 5.4l SuperCrew 4wd. My instinct is to stick with the BF Goodrich tires, as I liked them on my previous truck. But I am open to new ideas.

I want better off-road traction than the General Ameritrac tires [oem] on the truck. I drive through snow maybe once a year. Mud isn't a major issue in my area [average rainfall is 6"]. Rocks, dirt, leaves, sand, gravel are more the reality of my offroad areas. It will be on the pavement 85% of the time.

I have searched this forum and found good info on each tire, and occassional comparisons of the two, but I've never seen anyone able to compare the MPG difference between them.

I assume I'll lose some MPG when switching to either one, but how much?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have both, silent armor's on my suv, they pull good (traction) but they ride pretty good. but they are quiet and much better priced than they bfg's!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have run both. I used the Goodyears in summer and the BFGs in winter. The Goodyears do better on dry and wet roads, while the BFGs do better in snow. Tire wear is equivalent, and road noise is different, but about the same as far as loudness. Goodyears have more of a whine noise, while BFGs have more of a rumble.

Quick Reply: Has anyone switched between BFG AT & G SA tires?