I know the economy is bad but.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the economy is bad but.....

....should everyone be trying to sell me rims???

I have a 2005 supercab STX. The first thing I did back in 2005 was remove the horrendous 17 inch crappy wheels and car tires, and replace them with some takeoffs from an FX4 (I guess the guy wanted 20s) now its time for new shoes. I'm currently running 275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler ATs, and I fell in love with the Nitto Trail Grapplers, and figured that without doing anything to the truck, I could run 285/65R18. Well the first place I went to just wanted to sell me 20 inch rims; he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that I'm not running a street tuner. Then I went to 4 Wheel, and first they said they'd do it, then when I went back in a few days later they said they wouldn't do it because I had a stock wheel. Then I went to a third place, and ran into the same thing. Now all I've got left are "tire" places, I'm out of off-road places. I understand that part of the problem is that I live in a military town, and most businesses in military towns are designed to take Soldiers' money, but the experience at 4 Wheel rattled me. Do I have a crappy wheel that won't handle the larger tire? Or was I right in that everyone is trying to make a buck? And if anyone has had a good experience with a shop in Denver, let me know, I'm willing to drive a bit.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Have you tried Discount Tire, or Big-O? I had Big-O mount my Revos on my FX4 wheels that I had powder coated. $40 to mount, balance and rotate all 4, and every time i've been in for rotations or to plug a flat it's been no charge...and I didn't even buy tires from them, the Revos were on the truck when I bought it. Both places were willing to mount a 295/70/17 on stock 17"x7.5" wheels no problem.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a whirl.

Quick Reply: I know the economy is bad but.....