Sticking Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tim98
When you guys are replacing your pads and rotors (or just pads) Are you cleaning and re lubricating the bolts and or slide pins? This is key. They have to be cleaned up and redone, also run some clean brake fluid through the lines. this will help with moisture build up in the system.
My work was all warranty so I didn't do any of it

Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
front brakes 1997 sticking

I signed up today to thank all of you for info provided. for 4 wks I havechanged calipers,shoes,slide pins etc. 1 wheel would stick then the other-back and forth etc

CHANGING THE 2 HOSES THAT LOOKED FINE FIXED THE ISSUE.
The mount crimped on the hose half way down caueswd a restriction which did not allow pressure to release once the brake pedal was released causing them to lock up and smoke

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Stuck brakes

Originally Posted by indiana_jones
ok guys i have a question, i have a 98 f150 and the right front brake is dragging, just like vigs07r. i have just got done replacing everything caliper, pads, rotor, and just took it for a test drive, and it is still dragging. when i took the old caliper off i had to open the bleeder and use a c clamp to remove it. the only thing i can think is a brake line is partly clogged? if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, please let us know. thank you, jim
I have a 1997 F150 with >150K miles and had the problem on both front wheels. The most likely problem is the flexible rubber brake line running to the caliper. I had replaced everything on the left from wheel except the brake line and the brakes still stuck. Replacing the line fixed the problem. Today I replaced the right brake line and it solved the problem on the right side. I cut the rubber line to see what the problem was. In the middle of the rubber line is a clamp which is crimped around the rubber line. The clamp squeezes the line almost shut. As the line ages(maybe swells slightly) this portion of the line stops up. I could not get air to flow through this portion of line.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 05 XL 4x4 left front brake is sticking and not releasing. Time to dig into this one too.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm having this issue on mine as well - front driver's side. I'm going to replace both lines and see if that helps.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Identify the problem.

A couple years ago I had my parking brake stick on driver side, rear. After a 2 mile trip I got out and walked by the wheel, and I could feel the heat. WOAH!! So I walked around and the others were warm, but not nearly as hot. So i reached into my toolbox and got one of those newfangled laser-pointer-thermometer gadgets, and pointed it near the center of the rim. The hot tire read 145 degrees while the others were around 118. (trying to remember, might not be exact, but I'm positive there was a nearly 30 degree difference.)
I had that fixed, but the point is that while driving, I had not noticed that the brake was sticking. It was only partially "stuck".

--break--

Two days ago, I saw this thread on the forum... hmmmm......
I take out my trusty laser thermometer and test all four wheels after every trip. Turns out that after short trips the driver's side front is consistently five to seven degrees warmer than the passenger side. I bet'ya that I have this sticky brake problem in a minor degree. Not enough that it's noticeable when driving, but still there. Wonder how long it's been that way?

'05 XLT, 2wheel.

Quick Reply: Sticking Front Brakes