Goodyear Silent Armor Pro grades

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Silent Armor Pro grades

Curious if anyone is running the Pro Grade version on their '09 or '10. If you are, how harsh is the ride?

I'm used to C rated in this tire when I had 17" wheels on my '05, Now with an '09 can't get them in 18".

Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Curious if anyone is running the Pro Grade version on their '09 or '10. If you are, how harsh is the ride?

I'm used to C rated in this tire when I had 17" wheels on my '05, Now with an '09 can't get them in 18".

That's the tire I am running on my work truck, Dodge 1500 Hemi and I really like them for a good all around tire that is smooth on the highway. They have done really well this winter on snow and ice and got into some deep mud the other day and they held their own.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I had good results when I had them on my '05 but I didn't have the Pro grade which carries an "E" rating. Just curious as to how harsh the ride is on the highway.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As heavy as these trucks are I don't think you will notice a difference. They do handle better with stiffer sidewalls.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like mine on my 06.

Probably the best tire on the market for all around conditions.

Put the BFG to shame

Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any tire with an "E" rating which is 10 ply will allow for heavier loads and great towing capacity... I'm in favor of those choices...

Old 03-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
As heavy as these trucks are I don't think you will notice a difference. They do handle better with stiffer sidewalls.
Unless your truck is way over loaded, C range tires (in general) will provide faster stops, faster starts and will pull more G's in a turn (compared to "E" range tires). All these advantages come from the more supple footprint of a tire that is more resilient (more traction). You will also save fuel for two reasons. C rated tires weigh less so it takes less energy to get them moving and you will get better mileage on the highway because E rated tires dissipate more energy (higher rolling resistance).

E range tires are complete overkill on an F-150 unless you are planning to load it to ridiculously dangerous levels. A C rated tire has plenty of reserve capability above and beyond what the truck is actually rated to carry.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Real
Unless your truck is way over loaded, C range tires (in general) will provide faster stops, faster starts and will pull more G's in a turn (compared to "E" range tires).
I hear ya, but unfortunately with the factory 18" wheels I'm pretty limited with C rated tires in that wheel size with many brands. The Firestone Destination AT is one of the few that I'm interested in that has a C rated Tire in 18" OEM size.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I have them for my winter tires and I like them alot they are really quiet and the ride comfort is pretty good

Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor
I have standard load (4 ply) tires on my FX4 and I won't do them again. They can't handle the weight and are wearing like butter. I agree also a 10 ply tire is overkill unless you are towing big loads. The lateral stability is where the big ply tires come in. A C range will be perfect IMO, and is what I am going to do next.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
I have standard load (4 ply) tires on my FX4 and I won't do them again. They can't handle the weight and are wearing like butter. I agree also a 10 ply tire is overkill unless you are towing big loads. The lateral stability is where the big ply tires come in. A C range will be perfect IMO, and is what I am going to do next.

For the life of me I don't understand why some of the major tire manufacturers do not offer more in the way of different tire ratings in OEM size 18" tires. I mean their coming standard equipment with many factory trucks these days, and I would have to guess that most guys want something in between 4 ply and 10 ply for their half ton pickup.

I would think they are losing out on some sales. If Goodyear offered the Silent Armor in a 6 ply(C rated) tire, I would buy them. As it stands now, I don't want either P or E, so on to another brand. Is it just me or......

Last edited by birdshooter; 03-24-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Silent Armor Pro grades