05 brake pads wearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 brake pads wearing?

My 2005 F150 Supercrew 4x4 has 38k miles on it and when i go to back up and lightly tap the brakes, the rear ones make a squealing noise. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it when you are going forward. I ran my finger over the rotors and there is a small groove starting to wear on the very top of the rotor. I am by no means a mechanic. Should i replace the brake pads or what?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I had to change mine on my 2wd 05 w/ 39k on the odometer. And had to replace my fronts at 49.5k. Very premature in my opinion. I switched to ceramics all the way around, much better performance than stock plus a lot less brake dust. So my advice is to go ahead a change em out all the way around now since the fronts are gonna go in 8-10k anyhow.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wagner Thermo Quiet semi metallics work great for my 05. Low dust and stop my heavy 22's fine.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 AM
well, its a sure bet that they are wearing... all brake pads wear...

If the noise is really annoying, change them. If its only when you back up and you can live with it, you might have some time.

How thick are the pads? That is the main indicator

One thing to consider... if you change them a little early you can usually reuse the rotors. If you change them a little late the rotors are trashed (with late being after you wear down to the metal backing plates).

I changed my fronts early and reused the rotors. I lost track on the rears and trashed the rotors... (luckily I had free rotors )

Old 09-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Changed my rear pads and turned rotors on 05 XLT SCab at 43k, pads worn completely just started biting into rotors, used O'Reiley's premium Brakebest semi metallics. Got Wagner ceramics to do the front, can anyone comment on or confirm the 2005 front rotor situation? I'm reading the bearings are "lifetime" sealed with this model years rotors and not serviceable? If thats the case, I guess I'll just drop in the new pads without turning rotors(no pad backing plate contact to rotor yet but pads are getting thin)? 48k on truck right now.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Changed my rear pads and turned rotors on 05 XLT SCab at 43k, pads worn completely just started biting into rotors, used O'Reiley's premium Brakebest semi metallics. Got Wagner ceramics to do the front, can anyone comment on or confirm the 2005 front rotor situation? I'm reading the bearings are "lifetime" sealed with this model years rotors and not serviceable? If thats the case, I guess I'll just drop in the new pads without turning rotors(no pad backing plate contact to rotor yet but pads are getting thin)? 48k on truck right now.
Yes, the rotor and bearing is a sealed unit on the 4x2, but not on the 4x4. I just changed a rotor last night due to a failed bearing. Makes twice I have had to do it.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Yes, the rotor and bearing is a sealed unit on the 4x2, but not on the 4x4. I just changed a rotor last night due to a failed bearing. Makes twice I have had to do it.
So I don't need to worry about the old traditional turn the rotor, repack the bearings part on this brake job as long as my rotor isn't grooved, doesn't seem to be warped?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoMike
So I don't need to worry about the old traditional turn the rotor, repack the bearings part on this brake job as long as my rotor isn't grooved, doesn't seem to be warped?
The rotors can be turned but have to be on the truck and few shops have the equipment. I have never turned them to change the pads unless they are grooved. You can not repack the bearings. When the bearing goes, you get to replace the rotor which includes the bearing.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The rotors can be turned but have to be on the truck and few shops have the equipment. I have never turned them to change the pads unless they are grooved. You can not repack the bearings. When the bearing goes, you get to replace the rotor which includes the bearing.
Yuck! This does not seem to be a Ford "better idea". Did they go back to serviceable bearings on newer models? Thanks for the guidance, I'll drop in my Wagner ceramics and hope for the best,lol. I have no bearing noise as of now. Glad I caught the pads before they totally wore out.

Quick Reply: 05 brake pads wearing?