Odd noise at the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Odd noise at the rear

I'm gonna try to get a video tonite on my way to work of this noise. I can upload it tonite after work. Ok so here is my problem. I've had this for a few months. At the rear of my truck, it sounds like there is a grazing caliper (I think) on the passengerss side rear tire. It does not hinder the truck, but with the eindows down I can hear it esp when I pass something that bounces the sound back like trees, fences, ect. It's driving me crazy, but the truck is fine so I don't know if I should have it looked at. Could it be the rusty like film on the rotor is grazing the caliper and making the noise? It is not squeaky, but it is a higher pitched sound.

Anyone have ideas?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of the caliper(break pad) grazing the rotor sounds plausible to me. Can you try to put the truck up on jack stands and rotate by hand to see if you can feel it sticking, just make sure that is the issue and not something else like a bearing?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM

That was the other thing that I was thinking. I will try to jack it up at some point this week. I hope it is not a bearing, sometimes I feel that it has gotten louder, but then I hear it again and it is quieter. The sound has stayed the same overall for the past few months (2 or so) which would make me thinking it could be a caliper grazing the rotor. Ill try to get the video on the way to work.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good, keep us posted!!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 PM

The video needs time to upload. I just got in, so ill see if it picked up the sound and try to upload it tmmrw if it did.

Quick Reply: Odd noise at the rear