Recaliberation

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recaliberation

when i got my 04 150 it had 255/70R17 general tires and chrome steel rims. i got a deal on 265/60R18 FX4 aluminum rims. when i had ford recaliberated they told i couldnt go any taller on tires. now that the tires are wore out i want 275/65R18 goodyear tires. my question is can FORD recaliberated it for that size tires? i want to fill the wheelwells a little more.
thanks aaron.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, Ford can recalibrate the computer. However, as you found out not all dealerships know how to do this. If you buy an aftermarket computer tuner like a Supercips or Edge you can do it yourself.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but hopefully this isn't the only answer.

Recently I mounted 275/65/20 on OE wheels.
I took it to my dealer to have the speedo recal'ed, they said sure no problem do it all the time. Well they couldn't, my truck would not save the desired revs per mile.
Odd thing is an 08 with 35's came in while the tech was trying to recal mine, this truck went from stock 18's to 20's with 35's. The same tech with the same equipment was able to recal this truck with no problems.
We tried mine again we could punch in any thing we wanted to but it would not save anything but a very few selections, none even close to desired. I don't recall the exact terminology but the jest of it was, unable to select an unapproved rev per mile/ tire size.

So i took it to another dealer, same thing, the tech was perplexed, he said they do a couple a week and had never run in to this problem.

So this morning to the off road shop I go. They too tried everything they could think of no luck, same will not save an unapproved size b.s.

Then to another aftermarket performance/4x4 shop to buy an edge, With their help we tried everything under the sun, including a call to edge, again it would not save/ store the desired figures. Two guys there had gryphons one an edge all on 05-08 150's all had recal'ed their speedos with them so its not like they didn't know how.

Now I take my truck and the edge to a shop that specializes only in speedo recal. No luck same thing as everyone else found. They said must be something wrong with the PCM So I return the edge they were nice enough to refund my purchase, then back to the dealer.

I have an outstanding relationship with my dealer, they agreed to try another PCM.
They pulled it from a used 07 flex fuel with OE 20's just like mine,, are ya ready for it,, same dang thing, would not accept / save the rpm/size.

Im starting to get frustrated at this point so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what sticks. Any suggestions, besides shooting it in da face or setting it on fire.

Sorry about my longwindedness.

Last edited by 07sandscrew; 06-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.