Locking Lug Nut Sizes and Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Lug Nut Sizes and Differences

With the economy what it is, gas prices what they've been and trucks not really selling terribly well...what a GREAT time to buy one! So, I traded in my 2005 Toyota Matrix for a 2008 F150 SuperCrew the other day...can't beat HALF price on a $35k sticker!! (well, maybe you can, but i thought i did well at least)

Anyways, wheel/tire theft seems to have become a fairly frequent crime on the east side of the metroplex recently and I'd hate to wake up for work one morning to find my truck on blocks.

So...I know a semi-solution would be the installation of locking log nuts. I believe the "search" button is my friend but I havent found the answer I'm looking for so now I come to you!

I've learned the size I need is 14mm x 2.0, however, there seem to be some shorter versions and some longer versions that may not fit under the plastic cap on my wheel. Will both lengths fit because the websites that sell them don't really make a big deal about the length.

McGard and Gorilla seem to be some of the top brands, although my research indicates that these can "easily be defeated" hammering a slightly larger socket onto the lock and then removing. To me, it appears that this might work on teh Gorilla brand, but I dont see how on the McGards.

It looks like the McGard's may be the way to go, but I like the 24pc set that Gorilla sells for all lugs...does McGard sell something similar? If so, I couldnt find it.

Thanks for any and all help,
Steve

Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
anyone??

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I asked local ford dealer

Ford has a anti-theft lock M14 x 1.5 that is not exposed or under cap. In Canada they want $75. What a scam they are not even chrome their zinc. I can order (Roush) Chrome M14 x 2 to my door for $37. I'm going with Roush if I have to cut or grind them to make them fit so be it. Covered up never to be seen again. Strange ford dealer won't match the price on the ugly nuts.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I pretty much figured OEM locks would be a bit high. For me, it's just a matter of figuring out which brand are actually the most secure.

It seems the "most popular" ones I could find (the Gorilla brand) are, according to research, designed to use a key on the exterior of the nut...which can supposedly be "easily defeated" using a slightly larger socket.

For now at least, I've chosen the McGard brand, specifically part# 24024 which are the open ended (lower profile) 14x2 locks that should fit under the plastic wheel cap. They were $36 shipped and should hopefully be on the front porch when I get home today...so we shall see.

Just odd to me that the major auto parts stores in my area (I checked 3 O'Reilly's and 3 Auto Zones) and they only carried Dorman brand...and not even in the right size for the F150's. If I recall correctly, I thought the F150 was at least a semi-popular truck with more than a handful of them on the road...but what do I know??!

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nut Sizes and Differences