shakes when braking..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shakes when braking..

when the brakes are applied the whole truck shakes. i cant tell if it is coming from th steering wheel or the rear end. is it the rotors? should i replace all 4? i have checked them out and cant tell if they are warped.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know if you have the factory pads, but this is what my 2005 did and the dealer kept telling me that things were fine. I finally replaced the pads with CarQuest Blue and did not turn the rotors and the shaking went away. I have not had any problems in 10k since.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

replace pads and have the rotors turned. If they are warped too bad you may have to replace them.

If your steering wheel shakes it's the front brakes. if you notice it in the seat more it's probably not the front.

95% of the time it the front though

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go a decent speed and give the pedal a hard even stop. If the shaking is in the steering wheel it’s the front and if you feel it in the brake pedal it’s the rear. If they are warped I would just replace them because a lot of times they are turned and few hundred miles they are warped again. Install powerslot rotors with hawk pads, torque them properly, and there wont be any problems. Your truck will stop better with the upgrades.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You can always try the "do nothing" alternative. My '03 work truck shimmied like a belly dancer when braking (I assumed the front rotors were warped), and our mechanic refused to do anything about it. After about 20K miles of driving, the brakes are smooth as glass. Possibly the rotors were glazed, not warped?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
about 18 months ago i had the rotors turned and ceramic pads installed. the brake pads are still in good shape. should i install new pads anyway or can i use the old pads with new rotors.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
aftermarket pads are usually harder and tend to eat up the rotors faster. Its kinda a balancing game on what to buy. hard to do one with out the other and expect long term results

that being said im 60k have done two rotor turns, and two sets of pads up front, havent touched the rears, and will probably need to do 4w brakes in the next 10k

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by eaglesfan
about 18 months ago i had the rotors turned and ceramic pads installed. the brake pads are still in good shape. should i install new pads anyway or can i use the old pads with new rotors.
If your going with new rotors you should do pads as well. Even though they look good the pads and rotors wear together so there will be a wear patter on the pads. If you transfer them over you might end up with a noise or ruin the new rotors.

Last edited by bxstang2000; 07-08-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I would have the rotors turned, no need for new pads if they still have life in them. Turning shouldnt cost to much either. You can even take the rotors off and have them turned anywhere for much cheaper then if they take the rotors off.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
I would have the rotors turned, no need for new pads if they still have life in them. Turning shouldnt cost to much either. You can even take the rotors off and have them turned anywhere for much cheaper then if they take the rotors off.

The rotors were already turned once. I wouldn’t do it again. You don’t want to take too much material off or get close to the minimum thickness. The rotor will warp even easier since there is less metal.

I would play it safe and put a good rotor on. Your just wasting time and money cutting the rotors again.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea man your rotors are warped and you will need new pads also...its better to buy new rotors tho..my ranger went thru the same problem and i bought new rotors and pads...no problem at all

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Well im sorry, but if you turn a rotor properly, you should beable to turn them atleast 2 times, and still have room before minimum thickness. If you take off more then that, you are either taking away way to much, or the pads went metal to metal.

Anyway, normally you make 2 cuts, .02 for 2 fast cuts, and .02 for a slow cut. Sometimes you can do one fast and 1 slow depending on how much warping there is.

Also, Napa has pads that have 2 different compositions. Inside and outside pads are different materal which is suppose to save rotor warping and pad longevity.

Also, YOU DO NOT NEED NEW PADS! Hell, if you have no rotor warping you can just pad slam and it will be perfectly fine. Just because your rotors are warped doesnt mean you have to get new pads. I dont know where you guys get all these ideas. Just cause Brake masters replaces all your parts everytime you go, doesnt mean it actually needs done.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 07-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Well im sorry, but if you turn a rotor properly, you should beable to turn them atleast 2 times, and still have room before minimum thickness. If you take off more then that, you are either taking away way to much, or the pads went metal to metal.
Agreed. As previously mentioned by me, i have turned them twice and still have life in them. Helps to be able to do the work yourself

Quick Reply: shakes when braking..