Lubing Caliper Slide rails???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubing Caliper Slide rails???

Ok, so I looked in the archives and found out that the caliper slide is really just a bolt. Can any one tell me how to lube it when I do my brakes. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just coat the smooth part of the bolt with lube, just stay off the threads.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Thank you

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I use SYLGLIDE, available from NAPA. Good stuff. Waterproof, lasts a loooong time.

Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I spent many years lubing the bolts for the caliper slides before I figured out I was lubing the wrong part. If you look at how it all goes together, I think you'll see it as I do.

On the caliper, there are 2 rubber bellows covering a metal tubes that the bolt pass through. When it is all bolte together, the tube must remain stationary on the bolt, it's clamped between the head of the bolt and the caliper mounting bracket. The caliper slides back and forth over the tubes. You need to pop the tubes out of the bellows, clean them, stick some grease in there and stick them back in.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tom in CT
I spent many years lubing the bolts for the caliper slides before I figured out I was lubing the wrong part. If you look at how it all goes together, I think you'll see it as I do.

On the caliper, there are 2 rubber bellows covering a metal tubes that the bolt pass through. When it is all bolte together, the tube must remain stationary on the bolt, it's clamped between the head of the bolt and the caliper mounting bracket. The caliper slides back and forth over the tubes. You need to pop the tubes out of the bellows, clean them, stick some grease in there and stick them back in.
I lube the slide part on the outside, stick it back in and lube the smooth part of the bolt too.

Sometimes I'll also lube where caliper sits on the caliper mount.

rarely do i use antisqueal on a set of pads

I use CRC black brake grease

of course this is just my way of doing it

Quick Reply: Lubing Caliper Slide rails???