New Brakes Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brakes Squealing

I just had my 2001 F-150 disc brakes front & rear serviced at my local Ford dealer.

They replaced the front & rear brake pads and turned turned the rotors front & rear.

When I drove the truck for the first 100 miles I was getting a terrible burning smell coming from the brakes which eventually went away and the rear brakes are making a high pitched squealing sound.

I took the truck back to Ford and they turned the rear rotors again to see if the squealing would go away and it hasn't.

The dealer said they only thing they can do is to replace the calipers.

Is this really the problem or are they trying to get more money from me?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Anyone willing to help?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I would bank on the fact they didn't put enough or at all any anti-seize on certain parts of the pads. It's happened to me when I forgot, this means on the back clamp where you actually see through the wheels. There, the actual back of the pads and where they slide on. If all is good, give it some time too, sometimes but not often they do this. If they did the fronts, maybe the front sliders slide into the rotor too because the tabs aren't bent down.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Blue 2000,
I'll take it to Ford and have them check the anti seize and the tabs.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
The Ford pads themselves are OK enough for this not to instantly happen, even without a rotor refacing. It's just something that's happened to me and for someone installing brakes should go without saying. That bieng said, it might be a good idea to hint about what it may be based on others experiences, like a suggestion because either way they'll fix it no charge. They ought to know better so they might not like it someone telling them they f'd up and here's how. It's like what you don't see at restaurant's when the food has to be returned

Quick Reply: New Brakes Squealing