Tech Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech Question

Was ready to pull the trigger on the XD Monster 18x9 with a nice 33 in tire (Nitto) and a buddy of mine up north is giving me all kinds of crap. According to him once I change the dimensions I throw off the ABS system, speedo calibration etc. His suggestion , rather than keeping the 18 wheel size go down to a 17 inch and get "larger tires". This would not result in an overall increase in diameter since I'm downsizing the wheel. Does this make sense?? I want a big tire look so I suppose if his logic holds I could go down to a 16 inch wheel and get even bigger (taller) tires like maybe a 35 or 37?? When I look at pics of off road vehicles most of them seem to have smaller dameter rims and large tires. This is the look I am after but will be 99 percent on road. Any problem with this??
Wandell had suggested a width of I think 325 my concern is rubbing when I make a turn. How wide can I go? BTW my buddy also tells me wider is NOT better as I increase rolling resistance etc..

Any thoughts??

JK

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
first off, if you have a '04 or newer the smallest wheel you can run is a 17".

second, a 33" tire is a 33" tire no matter what size the wheel is. will it throw off the speedo, yes. ABS i dont know.

I personally am runnin the 18x9 monsters with a 325/60 nitto TG.

i need to update my gallery

Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is all up to you, but you buddy is correct in some cases. A larger diameter tire will through off your speedometer. It will also cause it to lose acceleration as it makes a higher final drive ratio. A wider tire will definitely have more rolling resistance and be worse for traction in snow. Better on dry and wet, as long as we are talking just wet and not puddles. Wider at speed when hitting a puddle will cause it to jerk the steering wheel to that side and have a better chance at hydro-planing.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIght. Also, your ABS will not be affected.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
man get what you want and get a programmer to adjust the speedo for tires size and if you do 35s and up do a gear swap.its your truck.the abs is affected if you have bigger tires in the rear and smaller in the front or vice versa.speedo calibration can be set with a programmer like i said and as far as traction issues its all on the tires.like someelse said the rims size doesnt even matter its the tire size anyway.

Quick Reply: Tech Question