Checking Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking Calipers

2003 FX4 SC - I now have about 93K and my truck and at about 80K I installed Autozone rotors and pads. Today I have a pulsing pedal and a humm from the right front. I alreday have the carquest Blue pads and ordered the stock Brembo rotors for the front but had a few questions:

1. With a warped rotor will a humm occur while you are driving or do I need to look at something else ?

2. How do i make sure my calipers are OK ? Could a bad caliper have warped the rotor ?

3.At 93K should I be getting worried about any of the bearing or anything ? What should I check if anything ?

The truck runs great and is paid for but since day one the brakes have sucked !

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pulsing sounds more like a ABS pump problem. The humming, possible wheel bearing.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
More Information

Last night I jacked the front end up and checked the wheels for free play in all directions and they both seem tight. The humming is getting louder but I did notice something this morning on the freeway that leads me to believe it might be the passenger side wheel bearing. When driving at freeway speeds the humming is very noticable but if I turn to the right (Change Lanes, Etc) the humm completely disappears. Could the bearing just be at a point were it makes noise but is not worn enough the have free play ? Is there anything else I should check before buying the $200 bearing ?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this before buying anything, rotate the front tires to the back and drive your normal route.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Fixed !

I purchased a new bearing and hub assy making sure it was returnable and then disassembled the passenger side. After taking the bearing assy off I found out it was OK. It really sounded like the noise was comming from that side so I was very disappointed. Figuring I had everything out already I decided to pull the drivers side apart and the bearing on that side was toast ! I replaced the front rotor and pads and so far everything is working ok.

Quick Reply: Checking Calipers