Brake pad fell off!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad fell off!?

Hey guys...as I was driving home from RI yesterday...I noticed that my brakes were a little sticky, and it made a strange side on the driver's side while braking...so at the next tank up I put the wheels at full lock and got out too check the left brake. To my amazement the outside of the rotor was fine...but the inside rotor was pitted too all heck, and deeply scratched. Needless too say I drove like a little old lady all the way home, not even stopping too eat...I needed too get home. How could the pad have fallen off?
~Phil

Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The caliper has frozen and will need replacing, also replace the rubber brake line hose.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you pulled the wheel off and actually seen that there was a missing pad or are you just assuming that? It seems much more likely that the inside pad is simply worn down to the metal and that is what is tearing the rotor up.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah thats what I believed happened at first shroomie...but when I took it into the stealership today, they said that the other side was fine...and that the metal plate holding on the brake pad must have broken loose! I'm not sure how it happened...but at any rate $335 dollars later, a new rotor new pads, and all is well. It could have been the braking in providence, I don't know if any of y'all know what kind of driving it is up there, that and the temp change possibly from 80's down too 50's during the day and freezing at night, I'm not quite sure I'm baffled. But at any rate, it works now, and I was assured it wouldn't happen again.
~Phil

Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 AM
TNC
Originally Posted by zambonimaxx
Yeah thats what I believed happened at first shroomie...but when I took it into the stealership today, they said that the other side was fine...and that the metal plate holding on the brake pad must have broken loose! I'm not sure how it happened...but at any rate $335 dollars later, a new rotor new pads, and all is well. It could have been the braking in providence, I don't know if any of y'all know what kind of driving it is up there, that and the temp change possibly from 80's down too 50's during the day and freezing at night, I'm not quite sure I'm baffled. But at any rate, it works now, and I was assured it wouldn't happen again.
~Phil
Hopefully that's the end of it for you. I doubt the driving and temps. had anything to do with it. I regularly travel from sea level to 10K'+ in 6 hours. Temps. can range from 80's to 20's w/out any issues. If you see changes related to temps, etc., I'd replace the caliper and the rubber line.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Probably just stroke of luck. Doubt it will ever happen a again. I have heard of pads falling apart when you pull the caliper off but not while driving. If the pad cracks enough though.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
O.K. I'll replace the calipers and the hoses, thanks so much for the reply! I normally wouldn't think the temperature etc. would have any effect (I put 30k miles on her in 7 months) but thats what the stealership guys said could be a possibility. I too very much hope that it was just a freek thing and that was the last of it lol, dang non-OEM pads!
~Phil

Quick Reply: Brake pad fell off!?