Pieces of metal in rear drum

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pieces of metal in rear drum

This has got me stumped.

I started hearing a noise in my "97" F250 rear brakes.

This also happened a while back on the opposite side. I removed the tire and drum to find some rusted pieces inside the drum. I Cleaned the drum and its been fine since. So I figured it must be the same problem this time on the other side.

I removed the drum this time and there were 2 metal pieces in there. They were like a couple of nails coiled up and ground down being in the drum.

The pads and drums need replacement but what the heck was that metal inside the drums and how did it get there.

This site is awesome. It's saved me tons of money.

Thanks for your replies guys!

smf

Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
The only thing that would look like a nail is the little pins that go through from the back for the hold down springs unless it's the springs themselves since you say they look coiled up. Do you see any parts missing? Here's a pic of the springs and hold down nails. Keep in mind this is a generic picture and you won't have all the parts you see or they'll be different but it's the only one I found that shows the hold down pins and compression springs which should be similar.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Larry227

Been on the road for a couple of days.

When I saw the pix of the springs it hit me right away.

The metal I saw in there was one revolution of the gold or green spring.

Now how the heck could that be possible? For a couple pieces of those springs be in the drum.

I'm wondering if the brakes are dangerous to be using till I have time to fix them.

Any suggestion please post.

Thanks,

smf

Special thanks to Larry for your awesome help.
You the man!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Either the little silver metal retainer caps rusted out and let the spring fall off or they were not installed right on the last brake job and just fell off. If it was me I would fix it right away. The spring kit should only be a few bucks from any parts store and you don't even have to take any of the rest of it apart. Just slide the pin in from the back, put the spring over it and then the little silver cap which goes over the pin and then a 1/4 turn locks it. If nothing else is broken you can save the rest of the kit and change that when you do your next brake job if you don't feel like doing it now. If you do install the entire kit, only do one side at a time so you have one side for reference if you forget how it goes back together.
They make a tool to install those spring retainers but I've always found it just as easy to use a pair of pliers.

Quick Reply: Pieces of metal in rear drum