Wheel Finish For Cold Weather Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Finish For Cold Weather Question

So I live just outside Chicago and the winters up here are rough sometimes and there's always TONS of salt on the roads. My immediate project upcoming is a level kit and blocks for my truck, but wheels and tires are next, due to the fact I should be able to fit 35's on my FX4 after the level upgrade.

Myquestion is basically: What would be the best finish for the rims? I'd like something that I don't have to rinse off and wipe down everytime I go out in the winter. I've seen plenty of American Racing wheels have their coating peel off and it looks horrible.

My truck is all black, so I would like some nice shiny rims if possible, possibly with a mix of chrome and black, like the Moto 951's.

So Chrome? Polished? What do ya think?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 AM
American Racing has a wheel that is a Satin Black color that has a Teflon coating.

Or...You could try powdercoating your stock rims, powdercoat is pretty tough stuff.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Would it be safe to say I want to avoid wheels with clearcoats? Most wheel descriptions say the clearcoat is there to deal with harsh conditions, but I've seen plenty of wheels with the discolored clearcoat peeling off.

It just really narrows down the choices due to the harsh winters my truck endures. Kinda blows haha.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor
We don't recommend chrome or machined wheels for winter use. They just can't hold up to the salt. Our winter packages include all painted and clear coated wheels and no chrome. You want to try and find powder clearcoat (yes, they make it clear) if you can. Powder clear is tough as nails. Many of the wheels we carry use it.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Nice Damon, thanks for the info. I check your site out quite often. I don't recall seeing any wheels I looked at being available with the powdercoating, but I'll check it out later tonight.

Are the teflon wheels just as good as the powdercoated?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 PM
No teflon wouldn't be as tuff as powdercoating.
I'll let Damon speak on the teflon finish.

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish For Cold Weather Question