Unusual wear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by who?
Hey guys...

Sorry it took awhile to get back here, work got real busy.

So someone mentioned that center wear is ALWAYS over-inflation. That's what I always thought as well, but I was just confused by the pressure rating on the sidewall... I didnt think it was only a max allowable rating. I dont see how Fords recommendation on the doorpost should be followed when using non-OEM tires. Thanks Kingfish for posting the chart.

I'm still a bit lost, because I rounded up the tire pressure in my first post to 50.. They all varied between 43-48... So I was below the recommended pressure for an E tire, yet still had the drastic center wear. I will drop the pressure back down, since the 65psi I put in will only make it worse.

The truck sees different loads all the time. The truck weighs in at 5240, and any given day I could have either nothing in the bed, 500 lbs of concrete, 700 lbs of sheetrock, or a couple hundred lbs of tongue weight from my overloaded 5x8 work trailer. I suppose I'm running empty 60% of the time though.

Any other thoughts appreciated.
Unlike cars, trucks have 5 different load ranges of tires you can use. The number on the door is for the OE tire and any tire of the same load range and to a lesser degree size as was on the vehicle originally.
If you are hauling daily, I wouldn't go much below 50.
With the amount of wear you have, I just wonder how much the tire itself comes into play. As I stated before, I had BFG ATs on my truck for 40k at 50 psi and they still had tread. And that was 99% of the time unloaded.

As far as pressures you got when you checked, try to check before driving any where, and best is at around 70-75deg F. Tough to do in winter, but temperature can make a few lbs difference in the pressure.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 sounds like the correct pressure at 80 you would bounce off the road , I have never had a tire wear in the center first.

Quick Reply: Unusual wear pattern