Brake woes ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake woes ...

A little history on my truck ...

right after I bought my truck I noticed a couple times that as I pressed the brakes it felt like the ABS was engaging, same feeling as when you hit your brakes on ice. It did it a couple times then the ABS light came on. I took it back to where I bought it and said that a sensor in the back end (not sure which one) was cooked. They replaced the sensor but it almost immediatly blew again. They started searching for some sort of short/electrical problem. What they told me they found was that one of the front rotors was replaced with an incorrect rotor, it was sitting in to far and was in contact with a different sensor and it was causing the issues. They replaced that rotor, the front sensor, and the rear one again. The ABS has been working great since which is about 3 months.

Yesterday I was on my way to a wedding and noticed that the brakes did that same thing. The ABS seems to engage when making a normal stop, and just as I feared, the second time it did this, the ABS light came on again.

Now for the question .. What do you all think is my issue? Did the dealer misdiagnose the first time? Does this sound like an electrical issue more than a brake issue? I did find something in one post that said I need to look at the "harness near the rail under the drivers door" and make sure its in good shape.

I have to go pick my truck up cause I may have had a few too many beers at the wedding, but after that I am gonna get under her and see what I can find.

Sorry for the long post ... and thanks again.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:12 PM
You'll need a scanner with ABS codes capabilities.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The other front rotor is probably incorrect too

Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 AM
the shop that found the first issue said they checked the other front rotor .. guess I will be taking in to Ford.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
ya... sounds like some sort of electrical and/or ABS sensor issue. If the same sensor is bad as before, it would appear that there is another issue that is causing that sensor to fail prematurely.

If it is another sensor that went bad... perhaps it is just a bad sensor??? Maybe the earlier problems did damage to it but it just now failed???

Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Going in to pick the truck up this AM .. apparently it was the right front speed sensor this time. That makes 3 ABS related sensors replaced in 4 months.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 PM
picked up the truck .. bout 5 minutes away from the Ford dealer ... ABS light comes on. Back on Monday ... good times.

Quick Reply: Brake woes ...