FYI Warning!!!! 305 will not fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI Warning!!!! 305 will not fit

Well, I drove over an hour today to have a set of 305/55/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's installed, which by the way are the best looking A/T tire I've personally come across, anyway back to the story, I have an 07 crew 4x4 stock height with factory 20's. Discount tire installed the front 2 and low and behold, rubbing all over the upper control arm. I was super disappointed because I was told by everyone I talked to that this tire would work. I am told now that a leveling kit will not resolve this because the kit doesnt change the position of the control arm, it will still rub with a 2 1/2 level. I spoke with a local 4x4 shop and they tell me that my only option if I want this tire is to put a 1/4 spacer behind the wheel, they say they do it all the time on F-150's running 33's and 35's. If any of you have input please send my way.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:08 AM
wow bro that sucks

Old 08-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very common for some tires to rub on the control arms at full steering lock when the oem wheels are used. How bad is the rubbing? Is it a bad grinding or is it just touching at full steering lock? Everyone has a different defination of "fits". To some this means an inch of clearance everywhere while others think "fits" means they didn't have to use a sawsall on the entire fender! If you tire is barely rubbing at full steering lock, I wouldn't worry about it. Some members have used very thin wheelspacers to cure this rubbing with no problems. Just don't get talking into using huge spacers.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by wandell
It's very common for some tires to rub on the control arms at full steering lock when the oem wheels are used. How bad is the rubbing? Is it a bad grinding or is it just touching at full steering lock? Everyone has a different defination of "fits". To some this means an inch of clearance everywhere while others think "fits" means they didn't have to use a sawsall on the entire fender! If you tire is barely rubbing at full steering lock, I wouldn't worry about it. Some members have used very thin wheelspacers to cure this rubbing with no problems. Just don't get talking into using huge spacers.

The word of the LORD... Thanks be to Wandell.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Maybe a good excuse to buy new wheels?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I bought them yesterday at discount tire even though they rubbed, a local shop owner assured me that he could make them work, anyway, I had them installed today and he had to use a 1/4 spacer, its all clear now, without the spacer they were only rubbing at full lock. He said to be on the safe side we should use the spacer. The tires by the way look awsome!!! I am 110% happy with my choice to use these over the Terra Grappler, several people came up while they were installing them wanting to know what kind of tires they were. What do you guys think about using this 1/4 spacer, will it cause any trouble down the road (ball joints, bearings, etc) its only a 1/4 inch so I would think so but I'm not very knowledgable in this field. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM
What kind of reviews have the Cooper Zeon LTZ's been getting? Now I'm interested in them. How do they compare in price to the Terra Grapplers?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 PM
The reviews that discount tire has are all positive. I spoken with several other people who has them and they love them. As I stated in a previous post I spoke with 4 different discount tire stores just to get some different opinions and all 4 stores said go with the Cooper over the Terra Grappler. These Coopers look 200% better in person, I was giddy like a little girl when I saw them, maybe I shouldnt have posted that, oh well, but they look awsome on the truck. The price was also a big factor in my decision, Terra Grapplers at discount tire for the 305/55/20 are about $1200, I paid $890 for these. They have a better tread wear rating and side by side with the Nitto, to me anyway, look much better. I am very happy with my purchase, just a little concerned about the wheel spacer, but the shop assures me that a 1/4 spacer will have not affect what so ever.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow, thats a good price. I'm no where near a Discount tire store, so I would have to order online and for the same price, it doesn't come near that price.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I got them for that price because discount tire did not install them, they gave me a price of $1000 out the door installed. After they rubbed they put my stock tires back on and I left unhappy. About 30 minutes later is when I called my local guy and he said go back and buy them and bring it to him. I called discount tire and said what is the price for just the tires, and that was the $890 since they ordered them for me if I didnt want them they would just send them back to Cooper. I think I got a pretty good deal. The local guy charged me $80 to take my old tires off and install the new ones, that price included the 1/4 spacer. I guess that was also a pretty good price.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Sounds interesting!! Can you post a couple pics?

Nebraska

Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I've never seen these tires before, they look nice As above, we need some pics ASAP!

Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I will take some pics, tell me how to post them on here, also I have an 8 megapixel camera do I need to down size the resolution to post?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
I've never seen these tires before, they look nice As above, we need some pics ASAP!

Thats a good lookin tire..........!!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I only used the spacers on the front, do you guys think I should put them on the rear also, I know I dont need them on the rear for any reason but I guess what I'm asking is since the fronts are now 1/4" out further should I bring the rear out to match??

Quick Reply: FYI Warning!!!! 305 will not fit