Tire Rotation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rotation...

To cross-rotate or not to cross-rotate.....

I have heard +/- regarding what method to use when rotating tires. I want to make sure I don't mess up the investment I just laid out for tires. I have heard that a tire will get a "memory" as to what direction it rotates, and cross-rotation may cause tires to separate prematurely. Front to back rotation will avoid this potential problem, but will not be maximally effective for even tire wear.

I'm interested to see what method others use, and at what intervals to rotate!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by chumFX4
To cross-rotate or not to cross-rotate.....

I have heard +/- regarding what method to use when rotating tires. I want to make sure I don't mess up the investment I just laid out for tires. I have heard that a tire will get a "memory" as to what direction it rotates, and cross-rotation may cause tires to separate prematurely. Front to back rotation will avoid this potential problem, but will not be maximally effective for even tire wear.

I'm interested to see what method others use, and at what intervals to rotate!

Thanks in advance!
What you are recalling is the problem with the early radials and the way sidewalls were constructed. Not the same these days. Just look in your manual, there is a diagram that shows the recommended pattern you use each time. Also, rotate often for longer life. I do mine every oil change and it makes a big difference

Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Seems like a bit of extra work to cross-rotate like the manual suggests. Any real benefit in doing this over just swapping the front/rear from the same side?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I cross-rotate like the manual says. I do it about every 6000 miles or You will start to see uneven wear in the tires.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I done it both ways on my old truck the first set I had them cross rotated every 5k got 42k out of them the 2nd set just the front to back every 5k got 48k out of that set. My current truck is just the front to back about every 5k I got 22k on them so far. Front to back is easier to detect uneven wear on the tires.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been rotating front to back about every 6 to 7k miles. So far no problems.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation...