ABS sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS sensor question

On my way back from class tonight, I wanted to see how fast I could stop with my new brakes and everything... forgetting that all my books and stuff are sitting on the seat next to me. Crap. So anyway, after I came to a complete stop my ABS light came on. I only have rear wheel ABS. By reading another post I gathered it means that the ABS is "offline" when the light comes on? What the heck happened?? When I got home I shut the truck down and restarted, the light never came back on. Another thing, since I've owned the truck, when I need to stop pretty fast the rear wheels lock up even with new brakes and rear wheel ABS. After my ABS light came on and I braked real hard, I didnt notice a difference in the trucks braking. If I get a new ABS sensor at the dealer, will this stop my rear wheels from locking up.

Thanks a lot!!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New sensor will not help. It's just a crap ABS system. One thing I have found that helps is to clean the rear brake shoes and drums even if you have plenty of shoe remaining. Take some 120 grit sandpaper and do a lite even sand over the shoes and then wash them with water. Hope this helps

Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the rear ABS systems don't do a whole lot. When you slam on the brakes, the vehicle leans forward raising the rear end making it very easy to lock the back wheels up (rear ABS just keeps that from happening). 80% of the stopping power is done by the front. IMO, make sure the rear shoes are clean and in good working condition like torkum says, but pay attention to the front as well (even more so).

Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM
So then a new ABS sensor would just be a waste of time, huh?

Thanks guys!!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the ABS light stays on, replace it. The RABS system [ Ford's name for the rear only ABS] uses a magnetic sensor that reads a toothed ring attached to the rear gear [ring gear] and when you get down on the brakes hard I think it looses it reading, making the ABS light come on/flash.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh ok, thanks.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by torkum
If the ABS light stays on, replace it. The RABS system [ Ford's name for the rear only ABS] uses a magnetic sensor that reads a toothed ring attached to the rear gear [ring gear] and when you get down on the brakes hard I think it looses it reading, making the ABS light come on/flash.
I'm getting an ABS code #9. I pulled the connector to the ABS sensor and it's open (should be between 800 and 3500 ohms). How hard are they to change and where can I get one (other than the dealer). How much do they cost?

Quick Reply: ABS sensor question