Best stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best stopping power

I am looking for the cheapest way to get better stopping power. I just had a 3" body lift and larger tires put on and my truck is not stopping as well as I like it too. Is there any combo(new rotors, pads, calipers) that will increase my stopping power?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotorpros will provide you with some nice rotors. Now for pads, im not sure what is the best, i havent found them yet, id like to know too. Now there is a big brake upgrade kit out there, but i think you need like a minimum of 20" wheels...

Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Will new rotors and pads give me better stopping power or do I need something else in addition?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are only three things that are going to give you "true" increased stopping power...and one of those some will debate...Larger diameter rotors, upgraded calipers, and stainless braided brake lines. That's it. Nothing else (slotted, drilled rotors, fancy pads, etc) truely increases clamping power. You may get some improved feel and feedback, and may be something you're looking for, but not increased braking capability. The brake lines some will debate but I stick to my experiences with them.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Fordwitflows
I am looking for the cheapest way to get better stopping power. I just had a 3" body lift and larger tires put on and my truck is not stopping as well as I like it too. Is there any combo(new rotors, pads, calipers) that will increase my stopping power?
The combo is called stock wheels and stock tires. Seriously, you act surprised that your stopping power sucks with oversized tires!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 AM
APT
Originally Posted by Galaxy
There are only three things that are going to give you "true" increased stopping power...and one of those some will debate...Larger diameter rotors, upgraded calipers, and stainless braided brake lines. That's it. Nothing else (slotted, drilled rotors, fancy pads, etc) truely increases clamping power. You may get some improved feel and feedback, and may be something you're looking for, but not increased braking capability. The brake lines some will debate but I stick to my experiences with them.
Friction stops vehicles. Better pads will help that. Also, pads and rotors that can dissipate heat better than OEM stuff will also help reduce stopping distance and warping.

Fordwitflows, Ceramic pads and a little better rotors will help. Brembo OEM replacement rotors from Tirerack are the inexpensive and work great. Reabestos Quiet Stop pads are also pretty cheap for ceramic and have good feedback. Oh, make sure to bleed the lines when you're done.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by freeski4ever
The combo is called stock wheels and stock tires. Seriously, you act surprised that your stopping power sucks with oversized tires!!!
I am not surprised. I new it was going to happen. Im just figuring out how to fix it.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Yea everyone knows bigger tires will be harder to stop, that is not the problem. The problem is how to stop the bigger tires. Another problem is fading, which with my tire/wheel setup and drilled and slotted rotors, i get pretty bad fading, mostly because of idiots that pull right out in front of me, and it takes all i have to stop... If a big break kit, front and back, wasnt so expensive, id be all over it!

Quick Reply: Best stopping power