Shaking when braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking when braking?

Hi guys.... maybe you can help me out. My '02 F-150 KR 4WD has been giving me some braking problems lately. The front discs started squeaking a couple of months ago followed by the truck shaking when I applied the breaks. I put new pads on all 4 wheels and inspected the rotors.... they looked good, couldn't feel any warping and no grooves.... still shiny. Usually when rotors go bad you can feel pulsating in the brake pedal.... I couldn't feel it, just the truck shaking when braking.

Anyway, the new pads did away with the squeaking, but the shake was still there. A friend of mine told me it might be a tire that was out-of-round. Well my tires are practically new (5K miles) and ride great. I rotated them anyway and the shaking is still their. Is there anything else that could cause the shaking besides the rotors? And if it is the rotors, why can't I feel the pulsation in the brake pedal when I stop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Might be the front wheel bearings.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
It does sound like rotors.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
You can't physically see the warping in the rotors. You talking about hundreths of an inch. Your rotors are warped. Take them off and have them turned, and your vibration will disappear

Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
More than .003" runout can be felt as a pulsation when braking. Get 'em resurfaced, and clean the hub flanges best you can with a wire brush or scuff pad before reinstalling the rotors.

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking?