replacing brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing brake booster

Re: the Expy in my sig, is it necessary to disconnect the brake line in order to remove and replace the booster? I'd sure like to do this job without having to do a brake bleed!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Just remove the master cylinder from the booster and gently move it forward. The steel lines will have enough movement to get the booster out. If you do bend the lines then you may have to tweek them back into place. So no bleeding is required.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Sweet. I was hoping it would be something like that. You just never know til you get into it or ask.
Thanks!!

Old 07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms of your truck that made you think it is the brake booster? I am having problems with my brakes and my buddy thinks it's the brake booster. My pedal is stiff until I start the truck and then it goes straight to the floor. Wondering if you had similar problems.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Nothing really wrong with the pedal...maybe only slightly mushier than it should be. The main symptom is the leaking noise I hear from behind the firewall in that area upon braking, especially when it's warm. My Thunderbird does the same thing and Ford told me that's what it was.
Your problem sounds more like a fluid or master cylinder problem.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, I finally got around to changing out the booster. It wasn't too difficult, just tedious in places. I disconnected part of the filter assembly to make some room, dislodged the master cylinder from the booster and disconnected the vacuum hose. Then you have to get under the dash, pull back the sound dampening pad a bit, disconnect the wiring mount and brake pedal from the piston. The piston and wiring mount is held on to the pedal by a bushing and a cotter pin. Then remove the nuts from the firewall and it's loose. It was pretty difficult to get the booster out from around the fuse box. It's kind of in the way. Installing was easier. Just backwards of the tear down.
The pedal regained any firmness it had lost but the "leaking" noise only went down by about half. I don't regret doing the swap, but will prolly be checking into anything else that might be wrong.

Quick Reply: replacing brake booster