I Need Some Help With Getting Correct Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I Need Some Help With Getting Correct Shifts

I went to a ford dealer and they quoted me at 75 $$$ to recalibrate my computer. Now i know that all you guys have posted and replied on this one a million times but i cant get a definate answer. What can i do to get my speedo back and correct shifts back? How much? where to buy? Thanks to all who can help me out!!

Old 04-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a 1998 F150 according to your profile. These still use the conventional odometer. To change your speedo which will bring your tranny shifts back to normal, you need to change your VSS gear. An assortment of gears is available at the dealer and aftermarket sources for about U$20. Reprogramming the computer will do nothing. Do a search here on VSS gears so you can find out the right one for your application.

Fritz

Old 04-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Smile Re: I Need Some Help With Getting Correct Shifts

Originally posted by stewart1
I went to a ford dealer and they quoted me at 75 $$$ to recalibrate my computer. Now i know that all you guys have posted and replied on this one a million times but i cant get a definate answer. What can i do to get my speedo back and correct shifts back? How much? where to buy? Thanks to all who can help me out!!
Hi Stewart!
First of all, Ford dealer is wrong IMHO. 99's and newer? Yes, but not yours.
Also, try typing in:
speedo gear
in the search function if you haven't already.
I used those threads to fix mine.
And... it is my understanding that a 97 and 98 is the same as far as the fix goes. Try to find a local Ford parts person who has a clue on this and get the right gear for around $10.00 and very simple to install to btw.
Don't go to much on color either, the answers veri enough there that I think they use whatever color they have on hand.
Good luck!

Old 04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys ill let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Help With Getting Correct Shifts