rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:24 PM
AWH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle

Ok, here goes: I'm just throwing this out in the hopes that perhaps someone one here has had a similar experience/problem:

I have had a minor rattle sound from the driver's side wheel ever since I bought my 97 F150 4x4 in August. The rattle sounds like a loose chain dragging or maybe the jingle of a dog collar with tags. I have taken off the wheel, inspected the brakes, and gone over all of the nuts bolts etc. in the general vicinity of the noise. I can't put my finger on it. I know it's like a needle in a haystack, but anybody else had this problem? Thanks!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked the hub cover to see if it moves. I have had them be loose and make noise.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:51 AM
There is a little cotter key on the front axle. You can see it when you take the hub cap off.. Mine was flopping around until I goop'ed it...

Not sure if thats the same problem you're having... but its worth a look.

Roland

Old 03-25-2004, 07:15 PM
AWH
THANKS

Awesome. I don't know how I overlooked that cotter pin before but I did...the lock on the hub was very loose and I removed the cotter pin and played with it. It's nice and snug now so hopefully the rattle will be gone.

Kruck, you "gooped" it...what is that? It looks like at one time there was some type of adhesive on the hub washer lock. I imagine mine will come loose again, where can I get some "goop?"

Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
yea... Goop ... its some sort of adhesive I picked up at the parts store. Its been sitting in my tool box for about 10 years... so, I'm not sure if they still make it. I guess any heat resistant glue or silocone compound would work though....

Good Luck!
Roland

Quick Reply: rattle