99+ Speedo Recalibration FYI

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99+ Speedo Recalibration FYI

I've heard that 99+ speedos could be recalibrated and I've heard they cannot. So I decided to call all the Ford dealers in my area (6), and they all said that they cannot be recalibrated. They all directed me to a place called San Diego Speedo and Tach. I called them and they also said that at this point in time, it cannot be done. But they hope they would be able to by the first of the year. Funny, that's the same time Hypertech expects to have their Programmer ready, which also does the same thing. The problem with Hypertech is they keep pushing up the ETA for this programmer.
I thought I would just get this info out to see if anyone has had a different experience to the contrary.

------------------
99 F150 XLT SC 2WD, Fabtech Suspension, Bullseye Spindles, 3" body lift, Centerlines with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 10-28-1999, 02:45 PM
Mine's at Fairway Ford in Placentia for servicing as I'm typing. I had asked them to recal. the speedo (from 255/70/16 to 285/75/16 aprox 9mph @ 65mph) they first said that it can't be done. I did a search on F150 site and found a post from 4X4(member) that said he had his done at Charlie Thomas Ford in Houston. I called Houston and spoke to a tech and he said it can be done and kinda explained the procedure to me. I then called Fairway back and told them that the Houston Ford did it and can be done. The "master mechanic" is now trying to recal. through the PSCOM (I think that's what he called it) not the PCM.

I don't understand why this service is so difficult to perform. I mean that 4X come from the factory with different size wheels and tires. The factory has to have some way to calibrate the spedo off the production line, right? It's only a computer, parameters are always adjustable on computers.

I know other folks have this same concern on speedos and I haven't found a rock solid answer on this topic. I'll keep everyone informed on the outcome.

Sorry to be so long winded!!!

Down with Chevys ---- Up with miniskirts!!!

Mike

------------------
99 4x4 XLT supercab 5.4L Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Med. Graphite w/Captain Chairs, Pioneer DEP-4000, Tint, K&N, Bedliner, 3" Catback w/3 Chamber Flowmaster, 285/75/16 BFG A/T on American Racing Python wheels

'00 Expedition, Silver w/Dark graphite, 5.4l and some other stuff. All in all she'll stay stock.

Old 10-28-1999, 06:18 PM
Ok, The dealership might be HUA. They told me that the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) doesn't need to be reprogramed. The reprograming is done through the PSOM (Programable Speedo Odo Module). The stock reading of the PSOM was 694, Which from what I was told represented the stock 255/70/16 tires. The PSOD should be reprogramed to 630 to represent the 285/75/16 tires that on on the truck now. The dealership could only reprogram the PSOD to 687. The dealership said it was as low as they could set the PSOM. They couldn't even tell me what size tire this represents. (The 694, 687 and 630 is the rpm of the tire).

I'm at a loss for what I can do now.

------------------
99 4x4 XLT supercab 5.4L Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Med. Graphite w/Captain Chairs, Pioneer DEP-4000, Tint, K&N, Bedliner, 3" Catback w/3 Chamber Flowmaster, 285/75/16 BFG A/T on American Racing Python wheels

'00 Expedition, Silver w/Dark graphite, 5.4l and some other stuff. All in all she'll stay stock.

Old 10-28-1999, 06:47 PM
I appreciate the info. It appears that the numbers you quoted, 694, 630, etc. are the approximate rotations per mile for a given size. I verified that through BFGoodrich's website. Did you happen to get any details as to exactly what is performed to change the settings of the PSOM? Maybe I need to invest in a factory service manual and hope it is outlined there. Also, since my gears are also changed, I'll need to calculate the effective change and have the number changed accordingly.

------------------
99 F150 XLT SC 2WD, Fabtech Suspension, Bullseye Spindles, 3" body lift, Centerlines with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 11-01-1999, 07:24 PM
Red face

I asked one dealer to recal my 99 and they told me I went too big with the tires(305/70)and they couldn't do it. Has anyone had any luck yet?

------------------
Gino Tedesco, '99 XLT 5.4l, SUPERCHIPPED, 3" Gibson catback exhaust,4x4 S/C Flareside D.wedge bl/Dk.graph, factory sidesteps & Tonneau cover, Manik grlgaurd w/Piaa lights, 305/70-16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires

Old 11-04-1999, 09:46 PM
I posted a message in the other wheels/tires forum about trying to have my speedo recalibrated. I have a 2000 F150 4x4 that came with the stock 235/75 tires, and I upgraded to BFG 265/75. I could tell my speedo was at least 5 mph off around 70 mph. I called the dealerships around Houston and Austin, and only 1 said they could recalibrate my speedo. I went there, and after 3 hours of working on my truck, the technician said that apparently the 2000's have a different computer and they can't be recalibrated. He said my only option at this time was to buy a small computer module from a company in Idaho(?) that must be soldered onto the computer board. He said it would cost near $200, so I decided not to order it. Does anyone know when the Hypertech programmer will be available for 2000's? Will you be able to reprogram the computer for bigger/smaller tires?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT ext. cab, white, shortbed, fleetside, 4x4, 5.4L, 3.55 LS, auto, AR Baja 16x8 rims on BFG All-terrain 265/75-R16, Clifford Concept 200 alarm, Llumar tint

Old 11-05-1999, 06:10 AM
I've been calling Hypertech every few weeks to get an update on the release of their programmer for the 99's. About three weeks ago, they said, "the first of the year". But they keep pushing this ETA up, so who really knows. They took my phone number and said they would call me just as soon as they're available, but I'll continue to call once a month. I guess it's safe to assume that the speedo recal works on other makes, that they should incorporate that into the 99+ F150's.

------------------

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-1999, 04:03 PM
G Patricio,
Just saw a pic of your truck, that's very nice.

------------------
Patrick aka Mudder
Arlington Texas (DFW), member of Fordified.
Mudder,Black 98 Styleside S/C F150 4x4 0RP 5.4 3.55ls, Ramsey Pro 8000 hidden winch, Grizzly roll bar,2 Baja lights, 4 165 watt KC lights (I can light up the night with these), Manik grille guard, Westin step bars, Magnum bug shield, Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/S, American Racing Baja wheels, a Mobil Speed Pass on the back window, a F150 Online sticker, and a Stone Cold sticker on the front windshield . More to come for the 3:16 machine: 4 more KC lights, shocks, and tail light guards. If you would like to see pics, email me at mudder46@hotmail.com or see pics at me and pony's new website www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/index2.html, and to hear the exhaust http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T005.wav

Old 11-07-1999, 04:55 PM
"Down with Chevys ---- Up with miniskirts!!!"
Loser, you just had to put that in, didn't you?

Quick Reply: 99+ Speedo Recalibration FYI