Purchasing new tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Purchasing new tires and wheels

I am interested in purchasing a new set of wheels and tires, the question I had was that I heard that 15"wheels won't fit on 97+ F-150 because the brake calpiers are to large for the 15"wheels to fit over. Can anyone tell if there is truth to this? If so I guess I'll have to stick to 16"wheels.

------------------
98 F-150XL, blk/slv, 4.2 5speed, 4X2, Tonneau cover, class III hitch, Powertrax Locker

Old 11-16-2000, 09:19 AM
Lightbulb

I'm assuming that the 2WD's have the same calipers on them...Some people have ground the calipers to make them fit (not me!). Some brands/widths of 15" will fit. I just went with the 16's instead of all the hassle. There's also some issue of hubcentric or something that somebody else knows more about.

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector/Ventvisors/Extra Horns
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust (Straight pipes with big chrome tips)
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard
  • Cranked Torsion Bars for 1" Lift

Old 11-16-2000, 07:27 PM
Thanks alot really appreciate it, wasn't sure if there was an truth to what I had heard, an dI didn't know about that hubcentric part either, thanks again

Old 11-16-2000, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you try to get hubcentric wheels. Bad thing is, I don't know exactly which ones are, and which ones aren't. I'm very sure someone else on here would know what styles are, or if not, always call the wheel manufacurer.
What hubcentric is: Say you got a set of wheels that were hubcentric..(i.e. The AR Bajas, I'm very sure these are, correct me if Im wrong guys) now say you are mounting these on your truck..the center part of the wheel will match perfectly onto your truck's "hub." This will allow for the best fitment. For comparison, say you didnt get a hubcentric wheel. What this does is it doesnt fit perfectly onto your truck's hub, and this leads to your wheel/tire to "wobble" ever so slightly, and that leads to faster tire wear....
Sorry about the long post...
P.s. Now my question is, what wheels if anyone knows are hubcentric for our trucks? Thanks for any help guys....

Old 11-16-2000, 10:40 PM
15s would be a nitemare on a 97+ f150.

I know where the 15" wheel started on the 97+s. Warn's show truck of that year used an older F150 (like 96) rotors and bolt pattern. I assume they also used the front brakes from the 96 year truck also.

Rears, no problem there.

Fronts, issues. You really DONT want to go down in size with wheels. 1. you have to grind the caliper and caliper bolts for clearance. This will weaken the units. 2. if you have ever had wheel weights installed on the inside of the wheel, the clearance can be tight. on our stock 90GT it has 15" wheels (stock size) with stock size calipers and we have issues with the calipers hitting the wheel weights. There is not enuf clearance. 3. Good luck finding a 5x135mm hubcentric 15" wheel. I dont know of any off the top of my head.

Bottom line, you are better off staying with the 16". If you want to run the standard size off road tires, like the 33x12.5 run them with a 16.5" tire & rim.

If you are looking for something more sporting, go with a 17 or 18" wheel & performance tire combo. This will for sure help your cornering grip.

Old 11-16-2000, 10:48 PM
What you really should do is look at different rims. If you see one you like then look at or talk to someone from the manufacturing company. They will tell you if the rim you like is made for your vehicle.
Most companies list the specs on there websites. The rims you MUST have will have a 5 on 135mm bolt pattern. If it has this pattern it will fit your vehicle. If it doesn't it won't fit. There are many choices in the 16" and 17". There are LIMITED choices in the 16.5" and the 15". I know that there is at least one wheel in the 15" that will fit on the 97 and up F150 even the 4x4 with NO trimming on the calipers.
Good luck

------------------
97 150 4x4XLT flareside reg cab V-6 5 speed 3.55
4" WARN BLACK DIAMOND suspension lift.
Grizzley Brush guard, Double bend nerf bars.
35x12.50 BFG AT on 16.5x9.75 Eagle 143
Powerslot Rotors.
Clear corners,2 135w KC Hi lites.Privacy tinted rear slider. tonneu cover, Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, K+N Filter.

Soon to come:
4 Rancho RS9000
Dual exhaust
Lighted FORD ovals
Poweraid

Old 11-17-2000, 07:57 AM
Prime wheel makes 15" wheels for 97-up f150's. I think the biggest problem is that 15" wheels have to use very little backspacing in order to clear the calipers. This makes the tires stick way out past the fenderwells. Try calling Prime Wheel
(800)600-1151 or www.primewheel.com

------------------
97 F150 XLT, 4.6, auto trans, 2WD, ext cab, flareside, Leer cap,Teal
MODS:
3" Pro Comp spindles
285/75R-16 BFG's
Replaced chrome Grill, Bumpers & Mirror Backs w/ paintable types
4.30 gears
Red Line oil in trans & rear end
Front Receiver Hitch

Old 11-17-2000, 08:13 AM
Question

Kman,

I see that you are running the Eagle 143's with 35' BFG AT's. I am considering the exact same set of tires and wheels. Are those wheels Hub-centric? Are you having any out of balance problems with these wheels and tires? Do you have any pictures of your truck with these wheels and tires?

Thanks

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat ORP ext
cab 4.6 auto, 3" body
lift, westen nerf bars,
tube bed rails, custom
dual exaust w/ 3.5" X 24"
ss tips

Old 11-17-2000, 08:14 AM
Question

Kman,

I see that you are running the Eagle 143's with 35' BFG AT's. I am considering the exact same set of tires and wheels. Are those wheels Hub-centric? Are you having any out of balance problems with these wheels and tires? Do you have any pictures of your truck with these wheels and tires?

Thanks

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat ORP ext
cab 4.6 auto, 3" body
lift, westen nerf bars,
tube bed rails, custom
dual exaust w/ 3.5" X 24"
ss tips

Old 11-17-2000, 09:33 AM
Mind if I step in? The 143s with 35s work great..16x10s...Dave [img]//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=688963&a=5018235&p=30597848&Sequence=[/img]

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,Eagle polished wheels 16x10 w/Yokahama Geolandars 315/75/16s,all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift,3" spindles, 3" body lift=9 1/2 inches of lift, lift lips.coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).and it still fits in the garage, yeahhhhhh

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 11-21-2000, 02:00 PM
Question

Dave, I've got a question about those yok's, How do you like them? I'm thinking about getting some 285/75R16's and I was wondering about on-road traction/noise/cornering ability and also wet pavement traction. I want to be able to go in the mud but I also need the daily use of my truck. Also, do you have any problems with your sidewall since you have a 10" rim and a 12.5" tire? I've been told you should do 8" rim with a 12.5" tire to get the best sidewall. Thanks in advance.

Dimitry

------------------
Never let your schooling interfere with your education --Mark Twain

Old 11-21-2000, 06:45 PM
Talking

cpdice
I haven't got any pics done yet. Just had the tires and rims put on about 3 weeks ago.
They are great.Send me an e-mail stevekinstler@watlow.com
and when I get one I will send it off. The BFG are a nice tire but they do throw some small rocks.

Davensa
Thanks for the picture and the advice. I LOVE these rims. In my opinion these are the best looking rims for the money in the 16.5" size for the new 150.

These rims are not hub-centric. Meaning the hole in the center of the rim is not a perfect fit on the new trucks. If you center the rim up and don't tighten the lugs over tight until you have them all on. It shouldn't cause a problem unless for some reason your lug bolts aren't centered on your hub. I haven't had a problem with them yet.
I have been up to speeds of 90mph and no wobble. I have 3.55 gears and a 5 speed so I
dont have to much of a problem with starts.
I don't use my overdrive as much now. Milage wise I think I lost about .5-1 mpg. Depends how I drive it. On long interstate trips I think I get better.

Old 11-21-2000, 09:13 PM
Smile

I just got my new 589's last week and they are not hub centric, but lug centric. Well tighten and no problem. Running great.

sdiesel316

Most of the manufacturers have in their web sites specs including that information regarding hub centrics. But we can always email them with aditional questions regarding this matter. American Eagle still uses the same blank for many different sizes changing only the bolt pattern which is another way to centralize the wheel and with the help of tappered(conical)lugnuts everything fits OK.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks, Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings and 35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's on 16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Quick Reply: Purchasing new tires and wheels