Missing wheel balance weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-1999, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Missing wheel balance weights

I recently read a post on F150online where some one was complaining that their wheel balance weights kept falling off their aluminum wheels. Well last night when I was washing my 1 month of baby, I noticed that only 2 of the wheels had the weights on them. I checked the back side, but two were without weights. Now is it possible, or how likely is it, that the wheels are balanced fine without these weights? Basically I'm wondering if I should go back to the dealer and have the service dept. check those two tires and put weights on if needed. I only wish I could remember for sure if the truck had all four weights when I drove it off the lot last month. I did check to make sure she had all the lug nuts, but didn't think to check the wheel weights. Thanks for any help/advice.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-09-1999, 01:13 AM
HEY YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE OR THE LAST TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN. THE NEWER SYTLE ALM. WHEELS HAVE A VERY THIN AREA TO PUT THE WEIHGTS ON . IT TAKES A WT.THAT`S COATED & MADED FOR THAT WHEEL. IF ANY HELP COLOR CODE AT MOST TIRE STORES IS GREEN. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS. THESE ARE AFTER MARKET WT.`S.I HOPE THIS HELPS.

------------------

Old 08-09-1999, 01:56 AM
J-C
I don't believe that you could have tires that were perfectly balanced (ie. Need no weights). Go back to the dealer and complain or take it to a good tire shop that you trust to not screw up your wheels and pay to get it balanced. Then put a piece of Duct Tape over the weight and hit it with a blow drier - you wont lose another weight.
Good luck

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-10-1999, 12:45 AM
Well it's been a while since I made this post, and I have found out a few things in the meantime. First off, I have really found out first hand that no two dealers are alike. I went to the Ford dealer in my area and got nothing but trouble (I could go off for hours, but I won't). So then I talked to the dealer where I got my truck, and got a lot more help. He was saying I can bring my truck in and they can check any and all wheels. If they are out of balance they will re-balance under warrantee. If however they are balanced, they did labor not covered by Ford warrantee, then I have to pay $10 per tire. But I figure that small fee is worth it to ensure that my wheels are correctly balanced.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-13-1999, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Don't the wheels vibrate when out of balance?
I don't know about F150 but every other car I owned I could definitly tell when they were out of balance.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Quick Reply: Missing wheel balance weights