HEEELLLPPP!!! Stuck Rotor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEEELLLPPP!!! Stuck Drum!!!

Crap!!! '94 F-150, 2WD, SWB, Std. cab, 5-spd. I think my drum on the passenger side is rust welded to the spindle!!! I can't budge it an inch!!! Well, the whole works move in and out about a 1/64", or what ever the run-out is for the rear axle spindle, but no more. It's in neutral, parking brake is off, and spins freely, completely unencumber'd, but won't budge for coming off.

The driver's side was a little sticky, too, but I was able to back off the adjusting star wheel and it finally came off, no drama there. But backing off the wheel on the right side didn't help one iota.

Do I need some kinda puller? Would a torch help? Could I loosen something, drive on it for a couple hundred yards and break something loose? Has anyone else had this kinda problem?

It is a seldom used truck, I've yet to turn 90K miles and I bought it new on Memorial Day 1995. That would explain all the cocoons I found stuck in and around the drum area. But I need to get this done, it rains too much around here to rely solely on my bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Howard
IwishIdid@yahoo.com

Last edited by IwishIdid; 08-13-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:42 PM
I suggest beating around the edge of the drum with a hammer in a circular pattern. That worked for me when I was putting brakes on my old 83 f150. Don't get mad and hit it to hard though, you might break something. If it won't come off the first few tries, just keep at it. It should come off, but don't hit it to hard.

ps: I know a guy who was doing the same thing your trying to do, and was unsuccessful. He ended up unloading 2 full clips from a 9mm through his truck. No joke.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Peacemaker
I suggest beating around the edge of the drum with a hammer in a circular pattern. That worked for me when I was putting brakes on my old 83 f150. Don't get mad and hit it to hard though, you might break something. If it won't come off the first few tries, just keep at it. It should come off, but don't hit it to hard.
Way ahead of ya! I never start a project in or around my home without "the persuader" close by. It didn't help at all to tap it with the hammer, nor beat it with that same hammer. I'm gonna try to get some sort of spray penetrant in there, maybe that'll do it. I wish I knew a spray that dissolved rust, or at least the bond rust creates.

I was just wondering if I'd missed some sort of fastener that holds the drum onto the spindle, but the driver's side just "fell" off, like a good drum should, why won't the passenger side?!? I'm just frustrated is all, I hope like hell I don't have to take it to the stealership for a stupid ol' brake job.

-Howard

Old 08-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by IwishIdid
...I'm gonna try to get some sort of spray penetrant in there, maybe that'll do it. I wish I knew a spray that dissolved rust, or at least the bond rust creates....
Howard,

I have used PB Blaster to my benefit in the past on the drums of my '88 Ranger. I just soaked the lugs and spindle area with it a few times, let it sit overnight, and kept whacking at an angle with a hammer. It's the vibration that breaks the rust loose and not sheer force.

Just to make sure (no offense), but if you were not sure, the star wheel turns in an opposite direction than the other wheel. Also, make sure the parking brake is not on.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Update

Torch.

15 seconds at 1500 deg. and it pop'd right off. Let the fun begin.

-Howard

Old 08-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Cool.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:52 PM
The easiest way to get a stuck drum off of the axle is to simply stick the wheel back on, take the car out on the road and perform a few hard stops to heat the brakes up nice and hot. Return to your driveway, pull the wheel, and imediately attempt to take the drum off.

I have used this trick with 2 cars that I have owned with drum brakes. Worked like a charm.

If this doesnt work, try the PB blaster, or I once saw a tool in a Chiltons manual for pulling brake drums. I have never actually seen one though.

Quick Reply: HEEELLLPPP!!! Stuck Rotor!!!