Leaky Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Brake Line

I'm in need of some help. I have a leak coming from a brake line and I need to fix it. I'm familiar with replacing steel brake lines that sit along the frames of vehicles, but not this particular type. This line starts at the master cylinder and spirals down to the driver's side front wheel. The leak occurs about 1 foot from the master cylinder.

Now, my questions: What type of brake line is this? What size is it? Is it an easy fix?

the truck:
1997 XLT, 4X4, 5-speed, Rear-ABS only, 63,000 miles

Last edited by 97 XLT 4X4,4.2L; 07-10-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Boy that sounds familiar. My 95 F150 had a similar problem just last week. My truck spent a lot of time in NY and PA, so it's got some rust and corrosion and these brake line let loose on me. Thank god it was at low speed and no harm was done.

ANyway, I think what you'll find is that the brake line does not go directly from the master cylinder to the left front caliper. The steel brake line goes from the master cylinder down to a fitting on the end of the rubber hose that goes to the left front caliper. That fitting has 2 openings on it - one for the master cylinder, and one for the hard steel line that runs over to the right side and then connects to the rubber hose that goes to the right front caliper. So it's sorta like a T fitting, but you can't disconnect it from the rubber hose going to the left front.

Hope this is clear as mud now. BTW, don't take this as gospel, because remember, mine is a 95.

Old 07-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the reply! I always appreciate opinions. The real problem was actually the MC! I had that fixed and the problem is solved. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Leaky Brake Line