Brake Fluid.. DOT 3 or 4-5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Fluid.. DOT 3 or 4-5

I have a '97 F-150 with a 4.2 V-6.
I want to change my brake fluid and my Haynes manual says that "DOT 3 heavy duty brake fluid" is recommended. I still have a lot of Castrol DOT 4-5 that I used to use in my old Isuzu Impulse. Does anyone know whether or not the DOT 4-5 fluid will be harmful to any brake line components (like rubber hoses), or should I use the DOT 3? Would using DOT 4-5 offer any advantage?
Thanks, DM

[This message has been edited by DaveMcC (edited 10-31-2000).]

Old 11-04-2000, 06:59 AM
I am past due for a brake bleed and I am planning to do that very soon. I will use DOT 3 brake fluid like the manual says.

Technology has taken us very far and there may be products out there that can be mixed with others with no problem and others with a different designation that may substitute safely the stock one, but I will stick to DOT 3 in this one.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-05-2000, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe, if it calls for dot 3, you can use dot 4, but it's unnecessary. I think dot4 has a higher boiling point. Definately do NOT use dot5 unless it calls for it... it's a silicone base and will eat up the seals on the pistons.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

Old 11-05-2000, 04:21 PM
Talking

Thanks for the advice. I'll go ahead and buy a bottle of DOT-3.
-dave

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid.. DOT 3 or 4-5