Spark Plugs. Which are best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plugs. Which are best?

I'm about to change my spark plugs and am looking for opinions on which ones work the best on the 5.4? I have had better luck with standard plugs vs. platinum as far as performance on every other car I've owned, so I'm trying to stay away from platinum, but am curious to see what other's think.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:40 PM
I just installed new plugs in my 97 F150 with the 5.4L today. I decided on Motorcraft after reading alot of posts on this board. By the way, the original plugs in your truck should be platinum. From what I understand that is standard, at least with the 5.4. That is what came out of mine and that's what I put back in. I am real impressed with the difference in performance with the new plugs. They are not advertised as platinum plugs, they simply say Motorcraft, but is says it on the plug. At $3.99 per plug, at Autozone, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers!!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 11:10 PM
I installed Denso Iridium Plugs and love them. It idles perfectly smooth, and doesnt have any hesitiation at all, from idle to 5000RPMs. I would recommend them to anyone, they are kind of expensive, but you are getting the best plugs possible. The Motorcraft plugs I had in there before looked great when I took them out after 35k miles, but the improvement over the plugs is pretty noticeable.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:06 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really want at least platinum plugs. It isn't because of performance (which probably had to do with the gap, not the metal used), it is because of wear and longevity. Standard copper core plugs would last about 10k miles in today's engines. With it taking 2-5 hours to change the plugs for the first time on a 5.4L, you want the plugs to last as long as possible. Motorcraft (same as Autolite) double platinum are very good, and what are in your truck now. I changed mine a couple months ago at 60k miles and although they didn't look too bad, the new ones idle smoother.

I went with NGK Iridium from Napa for about $9ea. Denso is also popular, but a little more per plug and mail order only. Napa got me these next day. I'm very happy so far with their performance. Just remeber - buy a good spark plug gapper and check each one before installing and use anti-sieze on the new plugs!

Aaron

Old 11-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Splitfire

Anyone have any experience with the splitfire platinums? Any better than stock? Or do they compare to the Bosch? I had the regulars on my 93 GT Convertible and thought they were great.

John

Old 11-12-2002, 08:32 PM
I use Autolite Platinums, and I think they are great!

Old 11-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up SplitFires

I have SplitFire Plat. 3`s in my truck 97 4x4 with a 4.6L V8 & love them. They have been in around 35,000 miles now. The truck starts easlier & faster. As far as mpg helps alittle. They burn clean, I had one out to check them & still look real good. They cost around $6.50 each I think. They are nickel plated won`t rust.
I hope this helps !!!!!!!!
Lariat#1

Old 11-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi

Im curious...havent changed plugs on my truck yet..they are OEM mcraft. plat. 99 4.6L spec: AWSF 32PP** (33,000 mi)

**says use only spark plugs with the service number suffix letter as shown on the engine decal.

Not sure i understand that? Is the AWSF 32PP correct or not?

Also...from whats posted here...different brand plugs used...all seem to be performing ok. That surprises me alittle.

My first time with plat. plugs, i'm curious. Are X brand heat ranges same/different than OEM or makes no difference?

TIA.....OT

Old 11-14-2002, 08:01 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Timer,

Same service number/letter does mean AWSF 32PP. The PP is for platnium tip, platinum core plug.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs. Which are best?