Truck Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Problem

Hi, I have a 1998 Ford F150 4x4 with the 4.6 V8 engine. When i go to satrt it in morning it makes a weird noise like something is sticking, and idle will not jump up. It almost gets to the point of dying than all of a son noise will stop and idling will jump up. Only does it for a couple of seconds in morning, also only seems to do it when truck sits overnight. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing to check would be the #4 spark plug (last one on the passenger side). There is a heater core hose that runs right above that and it has a tendancy to leak sometimes. Get back there and check to see if you have any green residue. If it is there, you may want to change out the plugs; the #4 one would most likely be bad, and you may want to just take care of all of them while you're under there.

Good Luck
-Flea

Old 11-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Hey, thanks for the help, one of these days soon i will change out all plugs and wires. Just out of curiosity, how would it cause it to make that clicking noise like something is stuck?

Thanks for your help,
Ryan

Old 11-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Well, if it's something clicking, it may be something else entirely. Have you had your A/C serviced recently? The clutch on it may not be disengaging for some reason. Also, run a check on all your solenoids you can; perhaps one is just engaging loudly.

-Flea

Old 11-08-2002, 01:37 PM
well, the noise is associtaed with the idiling of truck. When i start it up in the morning it makes the noise and will not idle right, but after a couple seconds it goes away and idiling jumps back up and all seems to be fine.

Old 11-08-2002, 03:55 PM
How long have you had the truck? How many miles are on it? It could just be overdue for a bit of a tune up... I dunno... perhaps an injector isn't functioning properly. Is it cold when it does it?

-Flea

Old 11-08-2002, 07:40 PM
sounds like a stuck injector. run some techron through it.

or you have a build up around the throttle plate and it is getting stuck. (Do not use carb cleaner)

dpfe sensor maybe

clean the air temp sensor and the maf

you also might need a coolant temp sensor because it delgates everything at cold start up.

Trending Topics

Old 11-12-2002, 07:55 PM
thanks for all the help, i cleaned the throttle plate already, but i used carb cleaner. Didn't know i couldn't. Oh and yes only does it when cold.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Somebody posted on here that cheap oil filters allow the oil to drain back into the pan so the first few seconds of start up the upper valve train make noise till the oil gets back up there.

I know mine does this cause I get my oil changes at a tire place but it doesn't worry me. I wait 30-60 seconds before I pull outta the driveway then drive slowly for the first half mile to mile. But heh that's just my truck.

Old 11-13-2002, 12:18 PM
Talking

It is your IAC idle air controller. It is located on the driver side just beside the throtle body. You can take it off and clean inside it with some carb cleaner and you should be good as new.

Quick Reply: Truck Problem