Engine noise gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine noise gone

Hi

A mystery to me? 99 4.6L a/t 33000mi

Had clicking noise...very loud at cold start up but after engine warmed up...noise somewhat quieter...but still noticeable.

This clicking sound started about 1yr. ago...maybe less?

Point is....the only thing different i did...switched to Motorcraft Fl820 oil filter. Finally used up my supply of FRAM filters.

Noise level went from a 10 to a 1 1/2. Cold/warm now about same.

No complaints here...just surprised. Has anyone had same happen? Just curious.

Good luck...OT

Old 11-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Where ya been? Most everybody here hates Fram filters. Your experience is just one reason why.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Hi Dennis

Know what you mean. Seen lots of slams against Fram OF.

I reread my post...i know it sounds goofy...but im absolutely amazed at how much quieter my engine is since installing the MCraft OF.

I used Fram OF in my last truck...F250 (460cid) for almost 10yrs. Engine never made that clicking noise even at 90,000. I can go back further with same results.

Perhaps the quality of Fram has dropped off in recent yrs. and there no longer as good? I did see some test results awhile back that didnt give fram a good rating. But i just cant figure out why my engine noise has gotten so much quieter. I once referred to my 4.6L as "sounding like a mini-diesel" along with others. But...no longer sounds like that. Just really odd. Anyhow hope it continues as im thinking about making a change.

Good luck...OT

Old 11-06-2002, 10:53 PM
OT,

From what I've read on these boards the reason the Motocraft Filters work better to quiet the cold startup valve train noise on the Triton engines is the "anti-drainback valve". The 820S quieted my 4.6L.

Your 460 cid was not an overhead cam engine. The Triton's have the camshaft up in the head and need lubrication on start-up. The MCraft 820S' "anti drainback valve" leaves some oil up in the heads even after the truck has been sitting in your driveway overnight.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Hi WC

Tks. for update. Hadn't really paid that much attention to them.

You also noticed a difference. Thats good to know. Looking at the mcraft box...says "new silicone valve"

Anyhow...will be staying with mcraft for now.

Tks. again. Good luck OT

Old 11-07-2002, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I remember Fram being THE filter to use back in the 70s. In fact, Fram was widely used for as long as I can remember.

That all changed with these overhead cam engines. Seems like Fram just hasn't kept up with the advances in engine technology.

Quick Reply: Engine noise gone