Amoco or Texaco? (P66 or Conoco?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amoco or Texaco? (P66 or Conoco?)

Planning on running a Micro Tuner Superchip program in my 2001 4.6L 5 speed. All I can find here in KC, MO is 91 octane. I have been using QT's, but was advised to stick with Amoco or Texaco. Well, my local Texaco has 91 for $1.60, but right across the street is an Amoco with 92 octane for the same price. This is the only 92 I have EVER seen here, but why is it so much cheaper? Any ideas? Thanks!!!

BTW, we also have a lot of P-66's and Conoco's. What do you think about these?

-AR

Old 10-30-2002, 10:41 PM
I have a friend who use to work in the oil industry and he stated the gas is all the same except for the additives, which I am assuming is just detergents and such, each company puts in to the gas that they purchase. I have also been given the advice to stick with the big chains like Amoco, Mobil, etc.

Good Luck

Old 10-31-2002, 01:57 AM
For what its worth, I've kept track of fuel mileage for nearly 6 years on my '97 F150. I have also started keeping similar records on my other vehicles. I broke out fuel mileage by brand. My long term average is about 17 mpg on the '97. Best mpg has been delivered by Phillips 66, Citgo, Amoco, and Conoco fuels. Below average has been on Superamerica, Kwik Trip, Holiday (blue planet - low sulphur gasoline), Mobil, and Texaco. Phillips 66 is the highest at nearly 17.5 mpg, Texaco the lowest at 16.2 mpg. I run 87 octane all the time, even when in high elevation in the west. ALL gasoline here in MN is oxygenated with ethanol, by state law. I have no problems running any of the fuels I've listed, except I have occasional pinging on Amoco in all of my vehicles.

Fuel in this area generally comes from one of two refineries - one owned by Marathon Ashland (owns Superamerica) and Flint Hills (formerly Koch Pine Bend) Refinery. I know Koch produces Holiday gasoline, so it would appear that the refinery doesn't necessarily determine the best fuel mileage!

I'm willing to bet there is a possibility that the 92 octane you've seen may have ethanol in it (boosts octane, offers slightly lower fuel mileage).

On all of my vehicles, the order of the brands varies slightly, but all of the above average brands on the '97 are also above average on my other vehicles and vice versa. The only exception is our '88 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 inline six - it seems to love Superameria gas! Go figure...

Old 10-31-2002, 08:57 AM
i am also here in the KC area, and i have found that the AMoco/BP station at 435 and truman road is consistantly one of the best priced stations in the metro. amoco /bp is the only chain i have seen in the area with 92 or higher

Old 10-31-2002, 09:21 AM
I always got worse gas mileage running Amoco but I was running 87 ocatane.

Old 11-01-2002, 01:43 AM
I have been using Amoco 92 here I can buy it for 1.48 but that is this week. I also use Sunoco 93 but that is 1.60 a gallon but is sure runs great with the Superchips.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:35 AM
JACKAL,
I USED TO MAKE GASOLINE FOR THE TEXACO BRAND. I WAS EMPLOYED BY TEXACO. BUT YET I WOULDN'T PUT TEXACO GASOLINE INTO ANY OF MY VEHICLES UNLESS I HAD TOO. CITGO AND BP WORK ALOT BETTER IN MY TRUCK WITH THE 5.4 ENGINE. AND I RUN LOW GRADE ALL THE TIME WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Quick Reply: Amoco or Texaco? (P66 or Conoco?)