rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rev limiter

well I finally hit my rev limiter I thought something was wrong at first till I realised where I was on the speedometer, do they always cap out around 145 km/h

Old 10-26-2002, 01:57 AM
I heard somewhere that our trucks top out aroung 137 mph. is this true?

Old 10-26-2002, 02:02 AM
rev limiter

I heard it goes by RPM somewhere around 4700 or so

Old 10-27-2002, 10:42 AM
On my truck a 99 4.6l 5sp the rev limter is at 5200 and top speed is 97mph in 4th or 5th. I don't know if all the trucks are the same, but this is what it does in my truck!

Old 10-27-2002, 11:32 AM
I only hit my rev limiter once and that was in my 98 Mustang GT by accident when I left it in first gear and punched it thinking I was in drive, heh.

Is it true that the computer records the events of when you hit your rev limiter and Ford can retrieve them when the vehicle is brought in for service or warranty work?

Can you clear the computer codes when you hit the rev limiter by disconnecting the battery?

Old 10-27-2002, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even if it tripped that code, you could always use the excuse that "I was working on the [insert electrical component here] and had to disconnect the battery to do so." They can't argue that.

As for the limiter, that was probably the speed limiter he hit, not the rev limiter. The speed limiter is in place to prevent from destroying the drivetrain components... like tires... the limiter typically is set just below the speed rating of the OE tires.

-Joe-

Old 10-27-2002, 09:17 PM
yea its true that Ford with no govenors can run 130+ i think that was with 308 rear and V8. the hihest my 4.6 has ever turned is 4 grand and that was only once. i dont mind gettin on it but it will never see the rev limiter or speed limiter

Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM
I don't think you people with the automatic transmission are all that likely to hit the rev limiter.

It's really not that hard to hit the speed limiter. I've heard it said that the speed limiter is generally set some where between 97 and 108. Shortly after I got my truck I had an open emty road ahead to see how the truck would go. It shut down at 95. No longer. I really wont see speeds that high but I didn't like knowing that the limit was reletively low. I know it sounds like an excuse but you never know when you might need to get moving, to avoid a potential accident. I think sometimes it can be benificial to get away from some situations.

I'm sure we all know that these trucks aren't built for speed, and are dangerous at high speed (yah, what's not?) but it's hard to resist temptation all the time. At the track, they measure your time too!

Speed safely!

Old 10-28-2002, 04:59 AM
I hate to admit it but I've gone 100+ mph and I still had some left over power...I have the 308 gears and the auto 4.6.

I didn't want to push it much more...my tires might have burn up.

I know the gov. is set higher than the Chevy's. My frind has a Sub. and his gov. is set at 100mph. I've burned him on the freeway, much to his happiness.

I don't speed anymore, I want my truck to 1) last and 2) I don't want to kill or be killed.

Last edited by mf150; 10-28-2002 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:10 AM
OK time for another dumb question.

Then how do you get rid of the governor - get a chip burned?

Old 10-28-2002, 08:12 AM
speed limiter

I guess what I experienced was the speed limiter then

Old 10-28-2002, 07:07 PM
I believe that most of the chips/programmers claim that they remove the speed limiter in "most" cases. The rev limiter is still there, but I believe it's bumped up a notch or two. We want the rev limiter so that we don't over rev the engine. If you are going to get a chip to remove the speed limiter, I would reccomend finding out more about tire ratings. It's easy to put the pedal down and bring it up to top speed. I would assume it's next to impossible to stay on the road if you shread a tire at full speed.

I was looking in my service manual and I wanted to bring up something again. JL responded that the dealer can detect if you've hit the rev/speed limiter, wich is absolutely correct. The way I read it, is that if a fault is detected and it initiates a DTC, it is at that time that the status of several monitors is recorded in the keep alive random access memory. This is to aid in diognosis. The MIL will light when the fault is preasant through two drive cycles. At this point, you will be aware that a problem exsists and will need to be brought in to check for DTC's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the way I'm inturprating it, it is only if there is a fault and subsequent DTC, that they can detect the activation of the limiters. I don't think that they can just plug in the scan tool at any given time and see if you were driving like a nut.

I'm not an expert, so don't flame me too bad if I've got it wrong.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:49 PM
my truck is an auto and sometimes it seems like it goes to 5000 rpm before it shifts. I could be wrong but i believe thats about what it hits from 1st to 2nd when i floor it. Is that about right???

Old 10-30-2002, 12:02 AM
offroadmaniac
1st to 2nd shifts on the auto at WOT or hard throttle should be around 5000-5200 RPMS. So yours sounds about right.

Yes, the PCM can set a DTC for speed/rev limiters. I have tried to hit the rev limiter while in park and gave up when it hit about 5600-5800 RPM. At those RPM's it was really turning, no odd sounds but couldn't see blowing up a $3000 motor.

My speed limiter is at 97-98 MPH and I have it about 3 times in over two years.

Getting a Superchip will/can remove or step-up the speed limiter, it will also step that 1st to 2nd shift in the auto, not sure if it does anything with the rev limiter (I wouldn't want it any higher).

Quick Reply: rev limiter